1979 gs850 problem starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 gs850 problem starting

i have a 1979 gs850 i think its a us import (headlight always on)the problem is that it will start sometimes but only when i let go of the starter button, i have checked voltage at cdi (aftermarket elec ign fitted) and its just above 9v with ign on when the start button is pressed it drops to 6v + could it be the starter or just bad wireing also plugs are sooted up the bike was stood around for over a year before i bought it ,and it has been parked up all winter,i had it running last year but it ran bad then, urgent help needed cheers can i just say that the battery is new and even using jumpack makes no difference even though it does turn over quicker
    Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2018, 04:34 PM.

You have a pretty big voltage drop at the igniter. Check your wiring.
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Yup, what hannibal said. Check wiring for corroded connectors. You can find the wiring schematic on BikeCliffs' Page, link in my signature.
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by johngee View Post
        ...................... it will start sometimes but only when i let go of the starter button...................
        That is a symptom of marginal battery, or maybe just a not well charged battery.
        While runnig the starter motor, the battery is not strong enogh to keep up the voltage, and at that low of voltage the ignition doesnt work. When let off the starter button the voltage recovers quickly, the engine is still turning over, the ignition recovers, and it starts.

You did say was new battery.... new last year? and bike has sat unused for some time?
        Maybe find a good small battery charger (1 amp), see if things different after a good charge.

Originally posted by johngee View Post
        ...................... .................. .................... .............. i have checked voltage at cdi (aftermarket elec ign fitted) and its just above 9v with ign on when the start button is pressed it drops to 6v +...................
        You didnt say what the battery voltage was.
        You measure that 9 (and then 6) from the coil(s) org/wht wire to the ground...? or across the two wires on the coil....?
        Last edited by Redman; 04-01-2018, 08:51 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Just for fun and games, connect another battery to your bike. Yes, it can still be installed in another vehicle, but that other vehicle must NOT be running. I'll bet your bike works much better. Sounds like it's time for a(nother) new battery.

If it still does not start, there is probably a BUNCH of maintenance that needs to be caught up.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

right update, the battery is brand new and has 12.5v i have removed the wireing loom ,clocks and all the other bits and stripped it ,cutting out all bad joints /contacts etc and soldered all joints ,i have also removed all the crap i dont need ie auto indicators and control unit ,i have now a pile of old wireing on the floor which is not needed and the loom is much thinner ,so now all i have to do is re-fit it all and try again ,will let you now how it all works out cheers for info

Comment

so finaly got round to putting the bike back together and whoopee it started first time so getting rid of all that crap and soldering all the connections paid off well worth doing if you are having the same problems happy days

Comment

Working...
              X