switching out stock ignition switch on G850GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

switching out stock ignition switch on G850GL

Has anyone switched out their stock ignition switch (for the purpose of relocating it) to a 2-wire switch? I was looking at the back of the stock ignition key switch and noticed 4 wires. 1-brown (marked "TL") 1-red (marked "BAT") 1-orange (marked "HO") and 1-light green (marked "M"). My question is how do I turn this 4-wire setup into a 2-wire setup? thx for any help I can get

1981 Suzuki GS850gl, Café Racer!

Built, not Bought!

Your "light green" wire is actually GRAY.

It appears that you are doing a bit of a "custom" installation, so stock function might not matter all that much.

Connect the gray wire to the brown wire. Use your new 2-wire switch between the red and orange.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thx for the color clarification. Can you look at this pls, do you think it confirms what you described? Not really interested in the "PARK" light feature, just on/off. just double checking. Thx again
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Peteortiz11; 04-03-2018, 11:40 AM. Reason: additional info

Built, not Bought!

Comment

Yes, that is stock wiring.

Perhaps a bit of explanation about the stock switch wiring might help.

In stock configuration, power comes from the battery (via the MAIN fuse) to the red wire, then goes out the orange wire to power the bike through the rest of the fuses. One of those fuses powers the lights, including the gray wire that goes to the ignition switch. When the switch is turned ON, the gray wire gets connected to the brown wire, which goes directly to the tail light. When the switch is in the PARK position, the brown wire is connected to the red wire, so the tail light gets power direct from the battery for your road-side emergency. Since you are not concerned with the PARK feature, just connect the brown to gray, so your tail light comes on with the rest of the lights.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Pete, All what Steve said, yep.

What Steve said about the stock switch is consistent with my understanding and is consistent with the diagram you provided and consistent with other schematics.

And to say it again: Red is from battery+/MainFuse. When switch is ON that Red is connected to the Orange that goes back to the fuse block to power the HeadLight fuse and the Iginition fuse and the Signal fuse. Also in ON the gray is connected to the brown so the tail light is powered by the light fused circuit. In Park position the switch only connects the brown (tail light) to the red (battery/main), but doesnt power the orange. (am not saying anything opposite of what Steve said, maybe just use different words, and maybe state additional things.)

And Steves recommendation for what you should do is same as I was gonna say.

Last edited by Redman; 04-03-2018, 04:03 PM.
          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Thank you both for your time and clarification!!

Built, not Bought!

Comment

Working...
            X