Starter wont go !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter wont go !

Sometimes my starter dont run. It just sounds like a click in it.
    I`ve found out that if ill put the bike in 1st gear - and try to push the bike forward (not jumpstart) then putting it in neutral again, the starter suddenly runs and the bike will start.
    Anyone who has a clue of what this could be
    The problem appears every 5th time ill try to start the bike.

I will be very Grateful if somone could give me an advice here

Originally posted by DrJekyll View Post
    Sometimes my starter dont run. It just sounds like a click in it.
    I`ve found out that if ill put the bike in 1st gear - and try to push the bike forward (not jumpstart) then putting it in neutral again, the starter suddenly runs and the bike will start.
    Anyone who has a clue of what this could be
    The problem appears every 5th time ill try to start the bike.

I will be very Grateful if somone could give me an advice here
    Brushes worn down and only making intermittent contact with the rotor. Replace.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Thank you for your an fast answer
      Ive thougt about this, but if ill try a dusin of times just hitting the start button it wont start.
      So my next question is - why does the starter run after ill put the bike in 1st and push it forward ? Does the engine run the starter around when im doing this and putting the brushes in a better position ? I was convinced that the starter didnt have any contact with the engine before it runs by itself ? Do you understand where im at ?
      Please excuse my poor english

Comment

In theory the starter motor is not pulled by the starter clutch but there is probably a very slight drag.
        It might not take much to get the brushes to a better place. A gentle tap with a rubber mallet can do it.
        You could check the main earth strap from the case to the battery. If it is corroded the motor will not see the full current and depending where the motor stops it is easy or hard to get it spinning. Ask anyone who remembers kick start machines.
        At this age the motor is due inspection anyway as are all the power cables and connections.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thanks for your advice.
          I will check this out

Comment

You have posted some good observations.

If the starter was spinning but not turning the engine, then I would suspect the starter clutch.

But for the solenoid clicking and nothing else happening I would suspect the starter motor or the solenoid itself or the engine ground connection.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
            X