No announcement yet.

Solder vs. Butt Connector on hot for Coil Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm new to Suzuki but not electronics or Wisconsin motorcycles and I'll probably doing a rewire on the GS550L I just got since my display lights have a mind on their own. I like to solder and shrink wrap. or cheat with liquid latex($5) and cover(plastic wire wrap ~10$). Anyway there was a couple was to junction the 2 ends before soldering in this thread I just wanted to bring up.
    Western Union - Cross with at least 1"/3cm and bend at 90*. then bring both opposing ends back along the other to coil on its opposing wire and wrap 3 or 4 times(wiki has a good pic). So that's about as strong as any crimp will get anyway. And then you add solder and hopefully tape/latex/plastic.
    But with old wiring with almost no slack I like to do my irresponsible connecting method:
    - strip 3/4 in or 2cm from both ends
    - put 1"/3cm of appropriate shrink wrap on the convenient end.
    - spread both ends of wire into 90* wings.
    - line the ends up level and try to make them layer before using your thumb and forefinger to turn them in on direction and make them look like one wire.
    - Solder that junction completly, and let cool.
    - With a wire in each hand, give it a decent pull to make sure you weren't being dumb.
    - slide the shrink wrap over the connection, and heat it up.(a 700 watt heat gun is like 20$usd and worth it. same for soldering iron and multi-meter)

Good Luck.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice, I completed the coil mod and now she fires right up!

Comment

Working...
      X