Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs650 ignition coil options

Hello,

i just picked up an 81 gs650 project. I pulled the tank and noticed one dyna coil and one coil that looks original. I have no idea their condition, but I also have a bucket full of parts that have newer Suzuki coils in it that look different. Are there other year coils that I can swap?

Almost any Suzuki coil with dual outputs will work. The earlier coils intended for use with points ('79 and older bikes) are a nominal 5 ohms, the coils intende for electronic ignition ('80 and newer bikes) are a nominal 3 ohms. Wires, connectors and electrical terminals can be adapted.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The one I have are 33410-17coo or 129700-2301 densco. I’d rather put these on since they match, but just concerned that something will get fried.

Comment

Measure the ohm resistance on primary side of the ignition coil....my 650 has coils that have a 4 ohm resistance here. Then measure the resistance on secondary side...unscrew plug caps, with meter on 20k ohm scale, stick one meter probe in one plug wire,and other probe into other plug wire - stock suzuki coils were about 12k ohms here.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

These measure 2.7ish.... guess I need to find some that are 4 ohm?

Comment

Originally posted by angelasdad View Post
            These measure 2.7ish.... guess I need to find some that are 4 ohm?
            Go back and read post #2.

Starting with the 1980 models, the coils were a nominal 3 ohms. You are just 10% off, that falls in "nominal" territory.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I tested 5 suzuki coil sets...all were about 4 ohms. Check the one coil that appears stock suzuki and measure its primary ohms. I'm unsure how much extra current the stock ignitor can handle.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X