Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Previous Owner Mod - Tracking Down Weak Spark

Hey All,
    I’m reaching out for your expertise on wiring. The previous owner made some mods which I believe to be the source of the problem on my 81’ GS650G.
    So I’m trouble shooting a weak spark. I just completed athe coil mod, and have a tiny blue spark, but it is super weak.
    I’ll try to explain what is happening as best I can- I'm using the Clymer & FSM.
    Looks like the previous owner replaced the starter solenoid, and also put new wires running down to where the ignition cover is, bypassing the ignitor/signal generator all together...
    1. The blue and green wires coming from the ignitor going to the signal generator, are not plugged into anything, hanging loose.
    2. The White, orange/white, black/white, black/yellow wires from the ignitor are not plugged into anything.
    3. Wires running, down to where the ignition cover is, pick up on the other side of where the wires in above, bullet point # 2, would be plugged in. Thinking these are for the new ignitor/signal generator which fits down in the igniton cover? Havent ripped it apart down below to see whats going on yet, I will, if its necessary
    4. The new starter solenoid has a yellow/green wire going into the harness with a green/yellow wire hanging loose right next to it. This makes me think the oil pressure gauge switch isn’t connected to anything - most likely minor in terms of getting a strong snappy spark.

When I bought this bike, it ran (very hard to cold start), and it still cranks as it should. Have a feeling there are multiple issues here.
    Tried to get all the names correct on different items but could have still messed them, thanks for the help!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2018, 04:48 PM.

loose oil pressure wireIMG_7081.jpg

Comment

IMG_7082.jpgSignal generator non existent, part of problem? or irrelevant with new wiring?

Comment

Wires from ignitor not plugged in.IMG_7083.jpg

Comment

So after typing about it, I got myself curious. What happening down below. I fund a Dyna S Ignition. So this shouldn't take the place of the ignitor/signal generator would it? Nor should it have any change on the spark, right?
          IMG_7090.jpg

Comment

Yes, the Dyna replaces the signal generator(s) and the ignitor.

You should have a wire running from a switched source (probably the red wire in your first picture) that goes to the Dyna unit on the right end of the crank. The orange/white wire (where the red wire is attached) should go to each coil. There should also be a wire from each coil that comes down to the Dyna unit. Not sure if there is a separate ground wire at the Dyna or if it simply grounds by mounting it. Your stock ignitor and signal generator(s) can be removed from the bike.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What coils are on the bike?
              Current:
              Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
              VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
              And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                What coils are on the bike?
                Stock coils
                IMG_7067.jpg

Checked the spark one more time, it is blue, but doesn't make a strong pop. I know orange/yellow spark is bad, should this spark then be OK?
                All of this is troubleshooting a cold start issue, no I havent checked the valves, and I believe that would be next on the list...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Yes, the Dyna replaces the signal generator(s) and the ignitor.

You should have a wire running from a switched source (probably the red wire in your first picture) that goes to the Dyna unit on the right end of the crank. The orange/white wire (where the red wire is attached) should go to each coil. There should also be a wire from each coil that comes down to the Dyna unit. Not sure if there is a separate ground wire at the Dyna or if it simply grounds by mounting it. Your stock ignitor and signal generator(s) can be removed from the bike.

Steve coming thru once again, thank you. Good to know the previous owner didnt discard any necessary elements in that department.

Comment

Working...
                  X