1978 GS750 Stock Ignition Coil Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS750 Stock Ignition Coil Testing

Is 12.2k ohms a good measurement for the secondary coil winding?

This is measured without the plug caps on. I read open with the plug caps installed.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2018, 07:25 PM.

A commonly recommended remedy for weak spark is to remove the plug caps, trim a 1/4 inch from the leads, and reinstall the caps.
    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by afraziaaaa View Post
      Is 12.2k ohms a good measurement for the secondary coil winding?

This is measured without the plug caps on. I read open with the plug caps installed.
      Yes....consider new plug caps , only about $5 each
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks. I am anxiously awaiting my plug caps for the past couple days. Also trying to figure whether to replace the coils.

Comment

Ok, I think I have found the culprit. Both coils measure 12.2k ohms. The caps for cylinders 2 and 3 measure 9-10k ohms. The cap for cylinder 4 measures 91k ohms and the cap for cylinder 1 intermittently measures 57k ohms or open.

Comment

Originally posted by afraziaaaa View Post
            Ok, I think I have found the culprit. Both coils measure 12.2k ohms. The caps for cylinders 2 and 3 measure 9-10k ohms. The cap for cylinder 4 measures 91k ohms and the cap for cylinder 1 intermittently measures 57k ohms or open.
            New plug caps. Runs like a dream now.

Comment

Working...
            X