1985 GS550ES Fuese Block Getting Warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 GS550ES Fuese Block Getting Warm

I have a 85' GS550ES and I have voltage drop issues, no surprise here. But I found that the fuse block is getting warm. I tried to disassemble the fuse block but I couldn't get it to separate. I have battery voltage input to the block but all my outputs are .5v less, not a big deal but I have close to 2 volts drop at my coils. I cleaned the kill switch contacts and got it to 1.75v drop at the coils.

What else should I clean? does it run up to the ignition as well?

I could do a coil relay mod but I would rather keep original.

Any input on what I should do next?

I was checking key on engine off. So I started it and found that im above 12.5v at idle so I think I have sufficient voltage at the coils. I was just chasing my own tail.

That might also explain the fuse block since it was powering the coils.

Comment

Mine gets warm too. I disconnected the connector at the bottom and reconnected it and it seems to get warm still but not as warm. I know I have around 1 volt drop from the battery to the ignition. I didn't try reseating the fuses but that might help some too.
      1981 Suzuki GS250T
      1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
      1985 Suzuki GS550E
      2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

You really should go through and clean all connections to include the back of the fuse block.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Comment

I dont know if the 85 ES fuse block is same as my 82, but if it is, yah, there are connectors internal to the fuse block. So are opportunitys for bad connections inside the fuse block. I dont specifically recall how to get it apart, other than by prying on the back to seperate from the body.
            Be prepaired internal parts to fall all over the place.
            I think I got mine apart, and then just replace it with a salvage unit off ebay. .... and then got another extra one also.

I would also suspect the connections where the wiring harness pluggs in.

I would suspect that some if not most all the voltage drop is at the ignition swtich.
            Check voltage at the small red wire (from the main fuse) and check voltage at the orange wire (from ign swtich to the head-ignition-signal fuse). If a difference tat would most likley be the ignition swtich. Check voltage at the same wires on back of ignition swtich to verify.
            Last edited by Redman; 04-16-2018, 09:08 PM.
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

I have about 1v of drop from the battery to my coils. The fuse box looks just like the one pictured.

I went through and cleaned all the connections I could get to easily. I had to repair some wiring on the ignition switch due to a break. The power wire from the ignition switch to the tail light was broken. I didnt see much of a voltage drop through the ignition switch, I believe it was .3v.

I am going to run the bike and check to see if the fuse block gets warm while running or if the coils being powered all the time with the key on was the cause.

Thanks.

Comment

having similar issues with 86. Did you ever solve this?

Comment

Originally posted by Corvette95 View Post
                  having similar issues with 86. Did you ever solve this?
                  Open and clean the ign switch the kill switch and the fusebox and every plug and connector in between particularly the fusebox rat tail plug.
                  Individually they may not be a lot but six or seven components add up quickly.
                  Check the fuses with the bike running. You may find one end of a fuse is a lot warmer than the other end.
                  This can be a defect in the fuse, presume you have glass, where the solder inside the cap has cracked.
                  Now start thinking about the grounding side. Bad grounds will take voltage as well.
                  It's worth looking at the info on here about single point grounding, SPG.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Anywhere you have a connector in the wiring harness, you have three interfaces, or connections. You have one where the wire is crimped into a terminal, another where that terminal touches another terminal, and a third where that terminal is crimped onto the next wire. Every one of those interfaces is a potential for corrosion. Corrosion will resist current flow, and that translates as heat and voltage loss.

Now trace the current path between the battery and the coils. Remember that every time you see "connector", you have 3 potential sources of corrosion.

Battery
                    Connector
                    Fusebox
                    Main fuse
                    Connector
                    Main harness to the front
                    Connector
                    Ignition switch
                    Connector
                    Main harness back to fusebox
                    Connector
                    Ignition fuse
                    Connector
                    Main harness to front
                    Connector
                    Sub harness to right handlebar
                    Kill switch
                    Sub harness back toward main harness
                    Connector
                    Sub harness toward coil
                    Connector
                    Coil
                    Connector
                    Wiring toward ignitor
                    Connector
                    Ignitor
                    Connector
                    Wiring to ground.

If you only have a one-volt loss at the coils, ...

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X