Stator and charging on 79 Gs1000L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator and charging on 79 Gs1000L

My bike has the 5 wire stator.. question is can I put a 3 wire stator along with the sh775 and just leave the others unplugged? Or can I use the sh775 with the 5 wire stator

Have you tested this "5 wire" stator ? Is it already on bike? Find the 3 stator outputs going to the r/r (or just the rectifier if you have the older seperate system)

Do this test.. Disconnect stator leads from r/r. with your multimeter set on 200vac scale (or same scale that you would use for house outlet) While running bike to about 4k to 5k rpms, measure stator lead to stator lead and note the 3 readings. At same time and same meter scale, put one meter probe on any stator lead and other probe on good bike ground - you want to see a very low voltage reading, 0 would be best.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If you follow your five wires, you will find that there are actually three wires coming from the stator. Two of them split, giving you your five.

Yes, you can get a 3-wire stator, but be sure to remove your stock rectifier and regulator completely before installing the SH775.

In your current setup, there is a wire from the stator that disappears into the harness and goes to the headlight switch, then comes back to the rectifier. Don't connect your new stator to that wire, connect all three stator wires directly to the inputs on the SH775.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The stator is on the bike as of now.. I haven't run that test on the stator leads with the ground but will this afternoon. I did the other test I believe your talking about and they run around 75v.. it has 2 yellow 2 white/blue and 1 green/white im assuming the green is the headlight circuit it's the only one that runs into the harness.. so with the sh775 can I use both yellow and white/blue or both white/blue and a yellow

Comment

OK, I must be missing something.

Do you have a new stator or are you planning on using the stock one?

Are you planning on installing an SH775 in place of your stock rectifier and regulator?

If using the stock stator with an SH775, cut off one yellow wire and one white/blue wire so you have three wires left. Yes, the white/green goes to the light switch, it returns as a white/red wire on its way to the rectifier.

Remove your rectifier and regulator, connect your three stator wires directly to the three inputs on the SH775.

If you are installing a new stator, just follow the sentence directly above this one.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Awesome Steve.. I'm planning on using the stock stator and was trying to find out on what wires to use with the new regulator or if I needed to buy I new 3 wire stator but will shoot for the stock one right now.. and in doing it the way you explained will the light switch still be functional? One more thing do I just cap off the solid red wire that comes from the harness into the rectifer

Comment

Hmm... That solid red wire is the output from the r/r into the harness, so don't lose it. Sounds like someone has already replaced the stator, did they/you ditch the seperate rectifier and regulator too? In any event, check the stator out thoroughly before you hook up the new r/r. The sh-775 needs a functioning stator
              the on/off light switch will still work
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I still have the separate rectifer and regulator.. I don't believe anyone changed the stator not much has been messed with on the bike it still had the factory endless chain when I got it

What does the solid red wire go to?

I will be double checking everything with the stator but so far everything has checked out good on it

Just not sure what to do with the solid red wire once i take the old rectifer off

Comment

I still have the separate rectifer and regulator.. I don't believe anyone changed the stator not much has been messed with on the bike it still had the factory endless chain when I got it

What does the solid red wire go to?

I will be double checking everything with the stator but so far everything has checked out good on it

Just not sure what to do with the solid red wire once i take the old rectifer off

Comment

The output of your current charging system goes to a red wire that disappears into the harness somewhere forward of the battery box area. DON'T LOSE THAT RED WIRE. Don't cap it off, either. The SH775 also has two output terminals. The one that is closer to the three inputs is your + output. Connect that terminal to the red wire. The terminal that is closer to the edge is the - terminal, connect it to your Single Point Ground (SPG). That is where all of your major components are grounded, along with the battery.

Yes, the light switch will still work. There are two separate switches that are moved at the same time when you move the button. One of them allows 12 volt power from the battery to go to the headlight, the other switch allows current from the third phase of the stator to get to the rectifier. Since the stock regulator has to shunt any excess power, interrupting one phase of the stator when the headlight is off minimizes some of the excess, so there is less to shunt. Your SH775 regulator is a series-type regulator, not shunt-type, so removing one phase is not necessary.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Alright thank youI'll give it a go and see what happens I appreciate y'alls help

Comment

Working...
                      X