accessory wire for stereo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

accessory wire for stereo

I have a 1978 GS 1000, it has a Windjammer faring with stereo. The PO had it wired so the key needed to be in the on position for power to the stereo. I would like it to work on the accessory position. From the diagram I looked at the orange wire is accessory (I could be wrong). The orange wire doesn't have juice in any position. Could this be a bad ignition switch? Thanks for any help.
    1978 GS 1000

Just tap into the accessory contacts at the bottom of the fuse box.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

NOTICE: There is no ACCessory position on the key. You have LOCK, OFF, ON and PARK.

WARNING: Tapping in to the ACC fuse will enable your radio to come on any time you turn it on, but it will also NOT go off with the key.

The orange wire you mention is the wire that comes from the ignition switch to the rest of the bike. It should be live with the key in the ON position.

I don't know if the '78 1000 had a single fuse or a panel like Rick showed. If it has a multi-fuse panel, be aware that there are FOUR orange wires.
      One is solid orange, it comes from the ignition switch and powers three other fuses.
      A second one has a red stripe, it powers the lights.
      A third one has a green stripe, it powers the brake light, turn signals and warning lights.
      The fourth one has a white stripe, it powers the coils and enables the electric starter.

The only way to tap in to stock wiring that is controlled by the ignition switch is to also have everything else on. All the bikes in my stable also have this same "problem". I don't like it, but we have gotten used to it.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I haven't got the wiring diagram in front of me but I have an idea. I think there is a spare brown wire inside the headlight bucket that comes live when you turn the key the to park position. It's for the park light feature on the Euro model to light up a park light in their headlights.The problem is it also lights up the taillight. If you were to move the taillight to a power source that comes on with key in the on position like the instruments lights then the taillight would come on when the bike is running and you could use the park position as an accessory feature for the radio. Just a thought, anybody see a reason why this might or might not work?
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
          Just a thought, anybody see a reason why this might or might not work?
          Just one.

The PARK position is almost never used on a regular basis. Many who have gotten a 'new' bike have tried it and experienced getting the lock mechanism stuck. It might stick the actual lock, preventing the key from coming out or it might stick the fork lock mechanism, preventing moving the key and lock to a position where you can actually ride the bike again.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
            Just tap into the accessory contacts at the bottom of the fuse box.
            +1...........

Comment

Thank you all very much! I thought there was an ACC position. I will wire it hot all the time so I can play it during "refreshment stops" without risk of burning the points. Thanks again
              1978 GS 1000

Comment

You will avoid burning the points that way, but you also stand a chance of running the battery down. Be careful.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

I dont think powers going to the points in the PARK key position. is it??? If not you can find the hot wire for the bulb with the key in the PARK position and us that as your feed wire.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I would also throw a meter on the shielded brown wire that isnt used in the headlight bucket. See if it goes hot in the PARK position too. May be a much shorter and easier routing for the stereo power supply.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

No power to the points in PARK, and the brown wire (if he has one) will have power in PARK, but you need to keep the thoughts in my post #5 in mind before going that route.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                      X