Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Wire help needed

Ok, so I took crappy reference pictures before I tore my 81' GS550L
    down. I am having a helluva time figuring out where this yellow/green wire goes. The yellow/green wire from the starter relay does not fit in this. The bullet connector is too big. I also gave a green wire that has the same connection that I cannot figure out what goes to it. Can anyone help me out? Also I'm scratching my head because I think I may have misplaced the wire that came off the starter. The wire off the starter went directly to the relay post right? Any helpful pictures would be most appreciated.

Attached Files

Yellow/Green is standard Starter Solenoid. The Starter Solenoid is NOT mounted on the starter but rather the side of the bike (typical side plate). All this is documented in your trusty FSM (factory service manual)

Comment

So where does the yellow/green wire off the relay connect to? That is my question.

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      Yellow/Green is standard Starter Solenoid. The Starter Solenoid is NOT mounted on the starter but rather the side of the bike (typical side plate). All this is documented in your trusty FSM (factory service manual)

Comment

Did that wire and harnes get relocated?
        that circuit also connects to the clutch lever switch. That connector looks more like that end of the circuit.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Now that I think about it, yes, the clutch lever switch was removed by the PO. I no longer have that connected. If that is where that got connected, then where does the bullet connect to off of the relay?

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          Did that wire and harnes get relocated?
          that circuit also connects to the clutch lever switch. That connector looks more like that end of the circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by RRhoads View Post
            So where does the yellow/green wire off the relay connect to? That is my question.
            start button on the right hand switch.

Comment

The yellow/green wire is traditionally the starter solenoid wire.

In stock configuration, the yellow/green wire leaves the starter button, goes to the clutch "safety" switch, then to the solenoid. That setup requires you to pull the clutch handle whenever you wish to use the electric starter. Many of us bypass the "safety" switch by disconnecting the bullet connectors which are usually in the headlight bucket. Disconnect both bullet connectors, then re-connect the two on the main harness side to each other. You now have a direct path from the starter button to the starter solenoid.

The only dark green wire that I am aware of is for the horn(s). There is an orange/green wire from the fuse to the horn(s), then a green wire goes from the horn(s) to the horn button. There is a black/white wire on the other side of the horn button that connects to ground.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X