Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery drain - no ground?

Hey electrical geniuses.

(note: I did not have a volt meter available at time of this post)

I am reviving my 1982 GS650E from a slumber. The old battery was on its way out and the previous owner isn't 100% certain on the stator being replaced. So I bought a new AGM battery and started fine. To my disappointment I noticed the battery was draining every 2 days - the worse circumstance which led me stranded on a busy highway with no power.

Having checked all wires being securely connected I realised a ground wire from the regulator/rectifier hanging lose that was previous always connected to the old batter's negative terminal. My main question is: Will this ground wire be responsible for a battery drain? I've read the Stator Page's diagram of a typical charging system and I can see the ground but that comes out from the battery's end?

The ground wire is now re-connected to the negative terminal but I am afraid to ride it in case I get stranded again (not fun pushing 200kg on a hilly neighbourhood!).

I have attached a photo. Thanks in advance !
    Attached Files

Well ,do short trips till you find out! A faulty rectifier/regulator can discharge a battery, so get to the charging tests that we keep harping . Fully charge the battery, and disconnect the r/r from harness and see if the battery stays charged overnight.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If you are running the bike, THAT is the source of the battery drain.

If the R/R is not connected to the battery, that is only the source of the battery not being charged.

When you start the bike to go get a voltmeter, you can at least do a quick test to see if it's charging. With the bike at idle, shine the headlight against a wall, so you can see it. Rev the engine a bit, see if the headlight gets brighter. If it does, the bike is charging, at least a bit. Now ride the bike to go get your voltmeter so you can see how WELL it's charging.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You say you have read the Stator Papers. There are many posts by member Posplayr regarding all things charging on these bikes. Start with a fully charged battery and do the Quick Test as he has described (links as per his signature below).

Read about Charging
        Quick Test GS Charging Health

If you report your results here, Posplayr will usually comment on the interpretation of your results.
        1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

not having the rr ground hooked up will result in no charging.
          1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Working...
          X