Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear change light

Hello Forum,
    Have a 1977 Suzuki GS750D which I am rebuilding at a slow rate, however I seem to have a problem with the gear indicator light. When in neutral the Green light is on and number 1 is showing on the gear light area. On taking the sensor off I noticed there was a wear line going around the disc, thinking that it must be making a circuit I thought best change the sensor. So I went and brought a new sensor for the gearbox washer spring and plunger, fitted them to the gear box and rewired the plug. So now I still have the same problem, have run the bike through the gears, 1 lights up in first, also when in neutral, 2 looks strange, backwards 6? 3 and 4 are good and fifth looks like a 9? Have looked on search, and did not find the answer I am looking for? Do I need a new indicator gear position 36450-45620 and if so as there does not seem to be any available? Is there a modern replacement?
    Thanks for looking and any information regards this problem will be appreciated

Little Wagon

Find the plug and earth the supply wires coming from the instrument cluster side in turn and see what the display does.
    The neutral is probably blue and runs separately outside the plug.
    If the problem remains it may be a wiring issue at the plug or, more likely by the sound of it, at the display and have nothing to do with the switch.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Brendan,
      Thank you for the quick reply, shall try that when I next get some shed time lol

Little Wagon

Comment

I have changed my display out with a Chinese replacement off of Fleabay for about $2 including shipping. You have to do a little modification but it can be made to work!
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/core/images/smilies/cool.png
        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
        1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

If the problem IS in the display, look for cold solder joints.

A solder joint should flow in a smooth curve between the circuit board and the wire, not look like a blob sitting on the board.

The solution to that problem is to clean the area, then use a soldering iron to gently heat each connection so it flows properly.

Even though a connection might look good, it's possible that vibration has simply moved the wire around enough that it no longer makes good contact with the solder and the board. Re-heating the joint will fix that, too.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you for your answers shall have a look at the connections. Might have got hold of another gear indicator, supposed to be good?
            1978GS750E would you happen to have a link to the replacement you used

Cheers
            Little Wagon

Comment

I think this is the one I bought. Its a little bit big, but some sandpaper fixed that!
              Ron
              When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/core/images/smilies/cool.png
              1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

1978GS750E,
                Thank you for the link will look at getting one. Do you rewire it to the Suzuki colours on the gear position switch and do you leave the wire out for 0 and 6 as you have a neutral light and only 5 speed lol

Little Wagon

Comment

Disconnected the gear indicator block and left neutral light switch in thinking it would just illuminate the green. Which it did, but also number 1 was illuminated. Took blue cable out and was still on? Only when I disconnected the other block in the clocks did it go off? Would it be short circuiting somewhere? The wiring is pretty shabby to be honest so perhaps need to find a better set? As Suzuki don't have any.
                  Unless anyone has a good set? They could send to England on the cheap!! lol

Little Wagon

Comment

Trial and error on the wiring as the manufacturer switches colors quite often. Just a little patience and it will work.
                    Ron
                    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

All fixed and working a treat. Thanks for the advice, top rate

Comment

Working...
                      X