Wirefy (new product)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wirefy (new product)

I haven't seen anyone mention these connectors here and I just ran across them from a blogger. Wirefy has some really cool products for making watertight wire connections. Check out their site for all of their other products, but the one I want to share is their Solder & Seal heat shrink butt connectors. Soldering a joint can be a real PITA some times but this looks so easy even I could do it. All you need is a heat source, no soldering iron to heat up and get burnt from. Check it out. I've just ordered my kit and will give my review as soon as I get it and use it. Also check out the T Tap connectors.
    High quality Solder Seal Wire Connector kits for a wide range electrical applications. Use in marine, automotive and home electrical wiring. Wirefy offers a large assortment of solder seal wire connectors at a very affordable price. Get your solder seal electrical connectors today!

Last edited by gsrick; 05-25-2018, 10:21 AM.
    :cool:GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

I haven't seen these before either, but did some youtubing and they look pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24FjjIVpk9U
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Looks good! I'd be cautious about using them on wires that are under tension because solder doesn't make a strong mechanical joint, but for most of what we do that shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Hinermad View Post
        Looks good! I'd be cautious about using them on wires that are under tension because solder doesn't make a strong mechanical joint, but for most of what we do that shouldn't be an issue.
        Might be a good product but I'd also be.concerned about the low temp solder and ability to give a reliable mechanical bond in areas subject to heat. Hopefully they've done their homework.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
        https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
          Might be a good product but I'd also be.concerned about the low temp solder and ability to give a reliable mechanical bond in areas subject to heat. Hopefully they've done their homework.
          Low heat is 280 degF. Just lower than what is probably is a Teflon heat shrink.

Comment

Been using a similar product in aviation for years, they work very well when you use them correctly. A lot of people will over heat the wires being connected though, correct heat source critical. Aviation insulation does not melt lie automotive stuff.

Lets just say practice is a good idea, and by the way, they provide plenty of mechanical strength, when done properly!

Called Raychem solder sleeves
            Last edited by Fjbj40; 05-28-2018, 09:58 PM.
            1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
            1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
              Lets just say practice is a good idea, and by the way, they provide plenty of mechanical strength, when done properly!
              That's encouraging. Thanks!

Comment

I like the look of those. Think I'd pass the wire right through & twist them first before pulling them back in to the right spot....

another alternative I've used a bit... seem to be very reliable & very simple. I cover them with some heatshrink if I want them watertight.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

The Wirefy t-tap connectors are evil junk -- they're just a variation on the dreaded Scotch-Lok connector. Please don't use these. For anything. Ever.

The solder sleeves are interesting and could be a nice compact solution in certain situations. I'm not sure I'd use them on stator connections; stator wires are heavily loaded relative to the wire size, and they generally live very close to the engine.

And yeah, I'll agree that Posi-tite connectors work very well. They're expensive and a little bulky, but they're fantastic for field repairs -- all you need is some way to cut and strip the wires. And they really are suitable for permanent use if your "temporary" repairs seem to stick around. I usually carry some in my kit.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                  X