1980 GS1000G no start issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000G no start issue.

Hello to everybody. I just "inherited" this motorcycle from the daughter of a friend of mine that passed away. The bike has sat in the garage and hasn't been tagged since 1984. Anyway before I put a great deal of money into the bike I would like to make sure the motor isn't locked up and do a compression check. The bike has 22,000 miles on it. However the starter circuit isn't working. I don't have a service manual yet. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Manual and wiring stuff available here

After all these years sitting, compression test is inconclusive till it gets some running.Bike will need to be woke up! Any clues as to why it sat so long? I'd guess it will be fine, once maintenance is performed.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by jjohnson1177 View Post
      However the starter circuit isn't working. .............!
      Welcome to GSR.

Without mentioning the kill switch: Are you aware of the fact that the stock arrangment is that have to hold the clutch in (regardless if in gear or not) to energize the starter.....?

Is a good idea to check compression, but after sitting that long, maybe a good idea to look in cyclinder just to see if not all rusted cylinder walls. Maybe add an oz or so of ATF or MarvelMystery Oil or such in each cylinder to work on the rings, before cranking it over.
      Other thing could be to remove the right side cover so can turn it over with a wrench before cranking with starter.

You will also want to learn about cleaning the carbs. Not just spraying some carb cleare here and there, but a good tear down, and soak each in carb dip for 24 hours.
      Also see the Cycle O-Ring site (a fine GSR member) for a set of replacement carb o-rings.
      Last edited by Redman; 06-07-2018, 01:06 PM.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

If its got air in the tires and a little bit of room, you could try putting it in 4th or 5th gear and try rolling it ahead or back and see if the engine is locked up.
        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Thanks for the reply's guys. This is my first experience with a full size Japanese motorcycle but I enjoy learning. None of my other bikes had clutch safety switches so that will be a start. I do have new tires to put on it as the old ones won't hold air lol. The service manual is the next step. I tried to do some detective work to find out why he parked it but nobody seems to know.

Comment

Working...
          X