4 ohm vs 3 ohm coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 ohm vs 3 ohm coils

The shop manual that I have for 1980 GS850 with transistorized ignition advises a coil resistance of "About 4 ohms"
    I will check mine tomorrow.
    Many after-market coils advertised are 3 ohm.
    What is benefit (if any)?

The price variation for after-market coils is huge.
    I am aware that one gets what one pays for but I would like to hear readers experience and recommendations.
    The bike has original coils from 1980

The 77 750 coils I'm replacing now with Dyna 3 ohm green coils had measured out at 4 ohms... I thought that was curious...
    And the generic Dyna instructions say to use 5 ohm coils...or 3 ohm coils with ballast resistors added?????
    3 ohm has always been the standard or so I thought.
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

The resistance of the coils will determine how much current flows through them. The amount of current that flows through the coils determines the strength of the magnetic field in the core. The strength of the magnetic field in the core determines the strength of the spark when that field collapses. Most of the earlier coils are spec'ed at 5 ohms because the 2.5-3 amps of current that would flow is about the limit that points can handle without arcing too much when they are opened to create the spark. With transistors replacing the points in the bikes with electronic ignition (Suzuki's 'ignitor'), they could handle more current, so 3 ohm coils were spec'ed, which would run close to 5 amps of current.

Your '80 850 has electronic ignition, so it will handle 3 ohm coils just fine. It will handle 4, 5, even 10 ohm coils, if they even exist. The difference is that the spark will be better with the lower-ohm coils.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve (GS Whisperer):
        Many thanks for your informative reply re coils.
        Do you have any comments as to coils to purchase given the wide range of prices?

Comment

As far as brands go, you probably have about the same selection that we do, given the accessability of the interwebs, but I think the overwhelming favorite here is Dyna, with the green 3-ohm coils. My wife's bike came to us with Accel coils, they have done very well. Even the stock coils do well (until they fail).

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Accel and Dyna seem to be the most highly regarded. I've personally used Accel on a couple of old UJMs (GS and Honda CB), and have always been pleased with the quality, performance, and reliability
            sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Originally posted by Sam 78 GS750 View Post
              Accel and Dyna seem to be the most highly regarded. I've personally used Accel on a couple of old UJMs (GS and Honda CB), and have always been pleased with the quality, performance, and reliability
              I like the accel coils as well.

These are for a Honda but looks similar

Comment

I have a friends bike here also that needs new plug leads as they are stiff as a plank. Can the old ones be removed from coils?

Comment

Originally posted by uteman View Post
                  I have a friends bike here also that needs new plug leads as they are stiff as a plank. Can the old ones be removed from coils?
                  Yes. There are many older threads discussing how to do so.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                  X