Off idle miss worsened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off idle miss worsened

I recently used my carbtune to sync the carbs on my 82 GS1100E. I thought it might help with an off idle stumble/miss that was only present at the smallest throttle openings. Adjusted fuel screws while I was at it and noticed that the rpms did not respond to adjustment of carb three. Seeming to indicate that it was actually not firing. I realized after going through all this that the problem appeared to be ignition, but when I pulled the number three plug after a prolonged idle, it was dry and looked like the others. Now yesterday I rode the bike and it's missing badly at all rpms. I think missing on two cylinders. I've read some about coil and ignitor failures on these bikes. Not sure where to start. Suggestions? I was planning on aftermarket coils and wires. Seems like this would be a good starting point...
    1982 GS1100EZ, second owner, 11,000 miles
    2000 XR650R, plated

I'd do some simpleelectrical stuff first...check wiring from signal coils to ignitor,ignitor to ignition coils. Then remove spark plug caps and trim 1/4 inch off each plug wire and reinstall. Maybe get some new plug caps...$5 each..
    If you've already done this, then carb cleaning would be next... You've probably already had this carb fun? Has the bike sat idle with untreated fuel?
    I'm a fan of the italian tuneup....find some long downhills, accelerate, close throttle..rinse and repeat. Sometimes you get lucky!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes, will do on checking the connections. Was gone for a week but now ready to dive back in to the bike. Yes, I went through the carbs completely recently. full tear down and rebuild, including throttle shaft seals. It's definitely ignition. The bike has had only non-ethanol gas in it and I ride it several times a week, so I'm pretty sure its not a fuel issue.
      1982 GS1100EZ, second owner, 11,000 miles
      2000 XR650R, plated

Comment

Working...
      X