How fat should the spark be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How fat should the spark be?

Checking out the condition of the spark at tip of plugs yesterday and while sort of expecting a nice fat bluish "stoke of lightning" I saw a thin line about as thick as a fine thread. Put a brand new unused plug in #4 to compare but same result. Probably always looked like this but in relation to the thickness of the round electrode of the plug, how thick/wide should that spark be? When I tested the coils, the resistance was in that 30k range.

Sort of looks wimpy but what do I know. Is this thread thin spark what we should get and is the fantasy of a fat blue spark that has an audible snap a figment of my imagination?

Do aftermarket coils, al DynoTek, put out a hotter looking spark?

Thanks for your responses

DH
    Rides ROADKILL-1981 GS850G, very slowly these days. :dancing:

Color is more important than size. If it's blue/white, you're good
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I am about to change my stock coils to Dynas, would be happy to get a short video of each for you.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I am about to change my stock coils to Dynas, would be happy to get a short video of each for you.

Thanks Steve. Would love to see it. Don't know if I'm in the market unless bike won't run without. Fixed income limits (joys of geezertude ya know) but still of great interest to me.

DH

Comment

my spark looks weak but the bike runs like a champ. Its not a briggs and stratton engine
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I need to get a cable to load the videos from my phone and get them on YouTube.

Actually, I cheated. Did not get into my bike this evening, but shot a video of my bike with stock coils and my son's bike with its brand-new Dynas. After watching the videos on the phone's screen, the difference is somewhat less than impressive, so don't expect much.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
              my spark looks weak but the bike runs like a champ. Its not a briggs and stratton engine
              Thanks Cipher. Just came back from an after dark visit to Roadkill's shed. All 4 cylinders have equal looking arcs using brandy new plugs to view in the dark. The arcs are thin, like a pretty fine sewing thread but are bluish-white in color. Do wonder if one of those more expensive fine wire or exotic iridium plug formulations give a more dramatic spark. If any one out there wants to buy me some, I'd be glad to experiment.......Helloo,....is anyone there?

Oh well guess I'll just have to imagine then cause I'm too cheap to do it. Trying to remember what I saw in the past. Remember thinking spark not what I'd expect but can't remember if it was on this machine or some other engine.

They do look better in the dark though.

Thanks for the responses.

You don't have to do all that video stuff Steve, lessen you wants to.

DH

Comment

Originally posted by suzukizone View Post
                You don't have to do all that video stuff Steve, lessen you wants to.
                Videos are done, just need to be posted.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Add music, during a long scrolling wordy introduction... finish with cymbals banging and explosions... and a closing shot of Chuck Norris giving a thumbs up... That should help with the lackluster change in spark...

I did see a noticeable difference in spark when I switched to dynas, fyi
                  -Mark
                  Boston, MA
                  Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                  sigpic
                  1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

did you see a measurable change in performance? Is it worth it beyond the false perception needed to justify an expense? All the spark needed is that sufficient to ignite a load of air fuel mixture all the rest is marketing bull****
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

OK, here are the videos.

850 with stock coils:

1000 with Dynas:

No extra charge for the slo-mo.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

same colour same temp what the heck? more stable at higher rpm?
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to do this, Steve.
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

You are quite welcome.

I learned a couple things in the process, as well. The first video I shot (not shown) showed a weaker spark, but it also showed that there was a spark between the plug and the head it was sitting on. I connected a jumper wire with an alligator clip to ensure a good ground and a spark in only one location.

I also learned that if you copy the slo-mo video from your iPhone to your computer, then post it to You Tube, you don't get any slo-mo, just full-speed, and it's just not the same. You have to use the You Tube app on the phone and upload directly from your phone to get the slo-mo.

Oh, yeah, I also learned that the spark looks pretty much the same between stock coils and Dynas.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Actually, I measure how far the spark will gap, not the spark in the gap.

Accel coils will do a solid blue spark over 1/4".

Comment

Working...
                              X