1 cyliners not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 cyliners not working

Help please.my sons gs550ec 1978 keeps killing the spark plug on no1 cylinder, put new coils on, new plug caps and new plugs (again) it was ok for about 40 miles then same old story no1 pot not working as soon as I put a new plug in it works fine for a bit.
    The bike is standard with points & condensers but to my way of thinking the cylinders/sparks are joined 1+4 2+3
    so if a set of points/condenser was playing up it would affect the corresponding cylinder. does anyone have any ideas.

Killing it how? Fouling the plug? With Gas? Oil?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi if it's defiantly only affecting no1 cylinder having done what you have already I would try taking off the plug cap and trim about 5/6 mm off the ht lead this will get the cap screwing into fresh/clean copper wire and change no 2 cap onto no1 just to eliminate a faulty plug cap. When was the last valve check/adjustment made?
      The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
      1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
      past bikes. RF900
      TL1000s
      Hayabusa
      gsx 750f x2
      197cc Francis Barnett
      various British nails

Comment

plug wet just not sparking to burn mixture off

Comment

It would help to know what the plug looks like when it fails. It sounds like a non electrical issue, though it still could be from a weak spark if the wire is not transferring the current to the cap. Is it black and wet when you pull it(too much fuel)?
          :cool:GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

trimmed the leads on the brand new coils before fitting brand new ngk plug caps, shims were adjusted about 6-700 miles ago, done a compression test and al 4 are healthy and within tolerance range and all similar readings, totally flumaxed.

Comment

has a 4-1 on, no smoke plug wet/blackish but not sparking compression test fine so bore/rings/valves sealing

Comment

Originally posted by montjuic View Post
                trimmed the leads on the brand new coils before fitting brand new ngk plug caps, shims were adjusted about 6-700 miles ago, done a compression test and al 4 are healthy and within tolerance range and all similar readings, totally flumaxed.
                You may have something clogging your air jet or possibly the float is set too low allowing more fuel in the bowl. It does effect all circuits. You might want to check in the dark to see if the #1 wire is jumping to the block or another wire. It will find a fine crack in the wire and follow the shortest path to ground, but you may never see it unless your looking for it.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Once you have eliminated electrics, start on the carbs.

When were they last stripped and cleaned? Gummed up carbs will cause problems. A blocked jet will also cause that.

So will:

- incorrect float height (floods float bowl)
                  - leaking needle valve (floods float bowl)
                  - leaking needle valve seat O ring (floods float bowl)
                  - carbs incorrectly synchronised (one carb opening more than the others).
                  Richard
                  sigpic
                  GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                  GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                  Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

it had the same problem with the old/original coils so bought brand new ones along with brand new plug caps but problem still persists so it cannot be the plugs/coils/caps.
                    he carb have been ultrasonically cleaned float heights set and double checked, if a pilot jet was blocked at full throttle main jet would come into play and full power would return but isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by montjuic View Post
                      it had the same problem with the old/original coils so bought brand new ones along with brand new plug caps but problem still persists so it cannot be the plugs/coils/caps.
                      he carb have been ultrasonically cleaned float heights set and double checked, if a pilot jet was blocked at full throttle main jet would come into play and full power would return but isn't.
                      plugs/coils/caps.
                      Did you replace the wires also?

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

no didn't replace the wires Rick, as my understanding being that any problem with the low tension side would affect 2 cylinders ie 1&4 or 2&3 as this problem is linked to no1 cylinder only I have ruled out points/condenser/low tension side having replaced coils and plug caps with brand new ones I have ruled them out as well.
                        no1 carb has plenty of fuel in the float bowl so i've ruled out fuel starvation but I'm stumped now

Comment

just to confuse the situation more if I put a new plug in the bike runs fine for about 10 miles after this it kills the plug on no1 cylinder, by that I mean it won't spark put a new plug in the cap and spark appears put old plug back and no spark, it's as if there is an electrical pulse on no1 cylinder that keeps snuffing out the plugs.

Comment

One other suggestion: swap the plug wires for 1&4.

If #1 still fouls out, you will KNOW it's not electrical.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

already tries this steve and problem moves with the lead/plug cap but it has brand new coils/leads/caps because it was doing the same thing before and the only thing I could surmise was a faulty coil/lead/plug cap

Comment

Working...
                              X