SH775 swap - engine won't rev over 6k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SH775 swap - engine won't rev over 6k

I just swapped my old R/R for a SH775. Now it won't rev over 6k rpm. I'm assuming it's not getting enough voltage for the sparkplugs? Anyone else ever had this problem?

The SH775 is used from ebay. Is it just bad?

I may be bad, have you got a multimeter to test? If so set it to 20 volt dc setting connect it to the + - on the battery to see what is happening at tick over and 5000rpm and post the readings on here.
    are you sure you have the 775 connected correctly? You do not mention what bike you have that would help put the year and model in your signature then every time you post everyone knows what bike you have.

perhaps an explanation of how you have connected it to your bike would help

IMG_2672 by peter wood, on Flickr
    Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 07-21-2018, 06:10 PM.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

R/R problems won't cause the bike to not rev properly unless you are starting off with a dead battery.

Charge battery fully and then check both running and charge voltage.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'll be working in my shop tomorrow, bring it up, we can test it.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It's a '77 GS550.

The wiring is all stock AFAIK. (I haven't changed anything with the headlight loop) I have the yellow, white/blue, and white/red going into the grey side, then red and black going into the black side.

Can I rev the bike to 5-6k in neutral and get a good voltage reading, or should the bike be under load?

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          R/R problems won't cause the bike to not rev properly unless you are starting off with a dead battery.

Charge battery fully and then check both running and charge voltage.
          It has a brand new Shorai lithium battery. Voltage was around 13.2-13.3. I believe the voltage was the same when running.

Do you think it's more likely that the stator went bad?

Comment

Originally posted by hotrodalex View Post
            It's a '77 GS550.

The wiring is all stock AFAIK. (I haven't changed anything with the headlight loop) I have the yellow, white/blue, and white/red going into the grey side, then red and black going into the black side.

Can I rev the bike to 5-6k in neutral and get a good voltage reading, or should the bike be under load?

It has a brand new Shorai lithium battery. Voltage was around 13.2-13.3. I believe the voltage was the same when running.

Do you think it's more likely that the stator went bad?
            When you turn the key on with headlamp and kill switch active you are putting approximately a 10 amp load on the battery. While the Quick test details what to expect for a ;lead-acid battery in step 1 and step 2 , the LiIon should not be too different.

The Quick test is the first step at attempting to diagnose your charging system

Comment

I'm not sure how a new R/R would stop it from revving up. If the battery has the proper volt 12.6+ it should rev to whatever rpm you want, if the battery is low because the R/R isn't charging it, then it shouldn't be restarting because the starter will be drawing the voltage down each time.

It's hard to speculate without some test numbers from the battery before and after startingd an the stator AC voltage at 5K.
              GSRick
              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I'll do the Quick Test tomorrow and go from there.

Comment

I'll do the Quick Test tomorrow and go from there.
                  Make sure your battery is fully charged.
                  GSRick
                  No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                  Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Good luck with the Lithium battery.

What was your incentive for switching to a Lithium battery? Weight? Cranking capacity? Money burning a hole in your pocket?
                    If your incentive was weight reduction, you saved about 5 or 6 pounds. On a 500+ pound bike, it doesn't reall matter that much.
                    If your incentive was cranking capacity, you might have a small edge.
                    If you simply had too much money, you found a good way to remove some of it.

I ask these questions and add the "good luck" statement because Lithium batteries require a rather specific charging protocol for proper full charging. Our bikes (and I am assuming you are talking about a bike, even though you did not mention one) are set up for lead acid batteries, which don't require anything special to charge them, just plenty of voltage.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Finally got around to testing some more.

Bike off: 13.7 volts

Bike idle: 13.2v
                      2500 rpm: 13.2v
                      5000 rpm: 13.2v

Comment

Finally got around to testing some more.

Bike off: 13.7 volts

Bike idle: 13.2v
                        2500 rpm: 13.2v
                        5000 rpm: 13.2v

It would have been nice to see the battery load tests (key ON) and (key OFF after running); you just follow the directions.

Since seems to be too much trouble, you should test Phase B (leg to leg and leg to ground @ 5K) or change the stator.
                        Last edited by posplayr; 07-28-2018, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Yes, do the AC stator tests..my last stator behaved like yours- mid 13 volts. Upon removal, one stator winding was cooked.

image.jpg
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                            Yes, do the AC stator tests..my last stator behaved like yours- mid 13 volts. Upon removal, one stator winding was cooked.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55766[/ATTACH]
                            The question I really have is what is zero charging battery voltage under load? Is it 13.2V? For a Lead Acid , it would be closer to 12.8V.

For this LiIon battery, 13.2V could be either A.) zero charging or B.) partial charging. Only knowing the battery voltage with key on would settle that.

Probably the same outcome, burned stator means Shunt R/R ==> change both.

Comment

And while you're at it, ditch the Lithium battery. As previously mentioned, they can not be properly charged by an old GS. In fact, that might be the entire problem, not any of the other stuff.

And with all the well-publicized problems with Lithium batteries, are you sure you want one under your butt, right near the fuel tank while riding?

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X