1981Gs 650 no spark at 1 and 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981Gs 650 no spark at 1 and 4

Hey there, my 650 gs has no spark on 1 and 4, 2 and 3 are fine, I switch wires on the coils and the problem changes to 2 and 3 igniter unit seems to be ok, could the Cdi box cause this? Thank you?

Sure sounds like an ignitor problem - is this a chain drive 650 "E" or a shafty "G" ?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If you switch the plug wires and the fault changes to the other plugs, seems to me that it is the coil that is the fault.

V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I switch the wires on the coils themselves and the problem moves to the other coil..... it’s. Shaft drive

Comment

We did some tests and I really think it’s the igniter box, Suzuki says it’s unavailable any ideas?

Comment

Could be the 4 way electrical connector plug (runs from ignitor to ignition coils) located under seat - inspect it for damage/corrosion.

Edit: this particular ignitor is very durable. A used unit would have a excellent chance of being ok. Years ago, I tested 4 on my bike and all worked perfectly.
            Last edited by tom203; 08-26-2018, 02:50 PM.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Did all the tests as per my shop manual, wiring is good, signal generator is good so I’m going to get a new igniter box, I recently had trouble with my voltage regulator not putting out, I read on another thread that this can cause igniter failure has anyone heard of this?

Comment

[QUOTE=Aaron12345;2496415....... I recently had trouble with my voltage regulator not putting out, I read on another thread that this can cause igniter failure has anyone heard of this?[/QUOTE]
                If the voltage regulator is no good, it can let system voltage rise over 16 volts - this is bad news for electronic ignitors. I sold an used ignitor to a florida guy who had this issue and I insisted that he get a decent r/r to keep it company.
                1981 gs650L

Comment

I’ve been trying to find a used or new igniter without much luck.... anyone on here know where I can get one? I live in Canada

Comment

Thank you, mine was under charging very weird, but it may have overcharged at some point as well, do you know of any used ones available? I can’t find anything online Nippon denso 32900-34210 thank you

Comment

Any cycle junkyards around you? You might get lucky
                      You can upgrade to a dyna setup like this link....the 650 is not listed,cuz you need to make cutout in dyna plate to clear oil pressure sender -many members have done this on 650 and 450 bikes.

Dynatek Performance Dyna S Ignition. 1 Year Dynatek Warranty. ATV Galaxy is an authorized Dynatek dealer located in Irvine, California. Dyna S Ignition System is a complete self-contained electronic ignition system built with the latest state-of-the-art engineering.

As an alternative, I will sell you one of my two spare used ignitors for $65 plus shipping - tested/run on my bike 6 years ago. I have no idea what shipping costs would be. I am not an ebay seller - I sell locally (mostly) on CL.
                      PM me if this interests you.
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

Awesome, so that dyna setup gets rid of the igniter box all together? I will buy one for sure from you, email me jeune_19@hotmail.com and we can work out the details thank you so much, I’ve contacted a lot of cycle junkyards around me and no one has any....

Comment

Also I would like to replace coils with new ones for reliability, is there any particular aftermarket ones that work better, going with the dyna s ignition system

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron12345 View Post
                            Also I would like to replace coils with new ones for reliability, is there any particular aftermarket ones that work better, going with the dyna s ignition system
                            In that case, you should opt for the 3ohm dyna ignition coils to go with the dynaS ignition ...lots of dynatech suppliers, must be a canadian one with good pricing. Something like this from that same ebay guy..

Dyna S Ignition System is a complete self-contained electronic ignition system built with the latest state-of-the-art engineering. As a stand alone ignition the Dyna S is the standard of performance and reliability.

In your case, I'd skip the used ignitor from me and go for the whole new dynatech setup
                            1981 gs650L

Comment

Yes, sounds like the best way to go, I just want reliability! I ordered the whole setup on eBay maybe get a ride or two in before winter sets in! Thank you so much for your help! I love this old bike, I want to keep her going, I get more thumbs up than my friends with newer bikes lol! Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                              X