Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000S indicator control

Hi,
    Slowly getting through rebuild of a 1979 GS1000S and am trying to check and repair the wiring loom and electrics which are a bit of a mess.
    The bike wasn't complete when bought and going through the wiring it looks like the self-cancelling control box had been removed and binned.
    The smaller connector has been 'shorted' out with a couple of loop wires and I wondered if this means the indicators will work but not self-cancel or will not work at all.
    Can't find a control box anywhere for sale so guess these often fail and supply is drying up.
    Any ideas welcome.
    Cheers,
    Andy

If the control box is missing, the self-cancel feature will be missing, as well.

Whether they work manually or not will have to be verified. I know the '79 self-cancel function and control box is drastically different than the '80 and later boxes, and I have no experience with them, so can't help much beyond that.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Look up 1978-79 GS1000 wiring diagram, (Not the E or S models), it did not use a TSCU- turn signal control unit. Maybe you can can wire things up accordingly. By the way, a lot more things go through that unit than just the turn signals, so you need to pay close attention. I just had an issue with my left side turn signals not working. Turns out my horn wiring connectors were involved. All good now. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyD View Post
        Hi,
        Slowly getting through rebuild of a 1979 GS1000S and am trying to check and repair the wiring loom and electrics which are a bit of a mess.
        The bike wasn't complete when bought and going through the wiring it looks like the self-cancelling control box had been removed and binned.
        The smaller connector has been 'shorted' out with a couple of loop wires and I wondered if this means the indicators will work but not self-cancel or will not work at all.
        Can't find a control box anywhere for sale so guess these often fail and supply is drying up.
        Any ideas welcome.
        Cheers,
        Andy
        The part appears to be available, but you may not like the price, almost $400 US

Shop online for OEM Turn Signal Lamp parts that fit your 1979 Suzuki GS1000S, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452

or 500 Euro.
        Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 10-17-2018, 02:50 AM.
        2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
        2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
        1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
        2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
        1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
        1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
        1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
        Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

FYI, I just did the research to find a new TSCU for sale. They are currently on nationwide back order. I went to a dealership yesterday, and they ran a search through their system. Only ONE available in the US, for a cost of $560.00. IF anyone has one listed for sale anywhere, it's probably 99.9% NOT in their possession and they have to get it from SUZUKI also.

Comment

Thanks guys,
            Sounds like a real pain to get hold of a replacement but I'll keep an eye on ebay etc. and see what turns up.
            I'm guessing the previous owner had taken the TSCU out and I'm hoping maybe his modification to the wiring meant that the indicators worked but just didn't self-cancel.
            Won't know for sure until I get the wiring finished and back on the bike and livened up but live in hope until then!
            Back to checking the wiring - using the one in the manual I was losing the will to live tracing the tiny lines around a complicated layout but luckily was able to scan the page and print off at much larger size which really helps!
            Cheers,
            Andy

Comment

Does anyone have a photo of the right TSCU unit and any markings on it - trying to sort through various piles of bits from other bikes and hoping one may be the right bit or if not it'll certainly help when trawling the web for one!
              Cheers again,
              Andy

Comment

Hi,
                Thought I'd update on the indicator issue. Came across a TSCU in the US at a very cheap price so thought it worth a go. Arrived promptly and looked OK so I corrected all the bodged wiring back to standard and plugged everything in.
                Indicators worked one side only so spent a happy hour checking all the wires end to end, earths all good, block connectors clean and working etc. but no change.
                Started thinking the TSCU is probably duff but carried on playing for a while.
                Remembered mention by Pipefighter of sounding the horns a few times and this worked with the lights now all working perfectly.
                Seems a strange connection but worked so definitely recommend trying before scrapping the old TSCU and a big thanks to Pipefighter for discovering this bizarre solution.
                Cheers,
                Andy

Comment

I've not got around to trying it yet, but a few years ago it occurred to me that the only really important bit about the self-cancelling feature is a timer, the distance counter is a luxury we can live without, especially at the price / unavailability of the unit.
                  It will be simple to arrange a master timer + relay in the supply to the indicator flasher, so it cuts out after ten seconds or so.
                  ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                  X