1982 650gl regulator/rectifier replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 650gl regulator/rectifier replacement

After several weeks of testing and cleaning It looks like i'm going to be replacing my R/R. been reading alot of the stator papers and there seems to be quite a few options.
    One thing that most people seem to all agree on is that the Caltric RR are NOT the way to go. Ive read alot about the SH775, Compu-Fire SERIES R/R, and a few others but what about an older Honda SH232? there seems to be alot more of them out there (and no fakes) and they are much cheaper. can they be a reliable replacement? I seem to remember reading a thread on here once about a guy who supplied used, tested, replacement Honda RR's to members on here but I can seem to find that thread.
    Im asking this partly because I'm on a budget and I don't want to spend more on a RR and stator than i did on the whole bike and partly because I'm curious and I know that newer ISN'T always better.

I think you are just going to take "a shot in the dark" and just pick something (or NOT).

Comment

Reinventing the wheel much? Just get a SH775 and be done with it. You can find them for $50 shipped off ebay (used). Do a search on how to tell the difference between a real unit and a fake before purchase. Wire it up and rest easy.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

if you put in the search box Honda regulator you will find what you are looking for the guy you want is duaneage not forgetting Honda regs are shunt have you not considered getting a second hand SH775ba a genuine one should have SH775ba on the back fin powersportsnation on ebay is a good seller for these i bought one from them and they shipped it using the global shipping program for a reasonable cost
        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          I think you are just going to take "a shot in the dark" and just pick something (or NOT).
          HAHA thanks for your help sir but Im just trying to do my research. I like to take shots in the dark but IM leaning on the SH775 but i'm just seeing whats all out there. I don't want to be "left in the dark" on a cold winters night

Comment

I ran a SH-232 for years before I saw the light (and got tired of changing stators) and opted for the series SH-775. Very rugged unit - hard to kill! ....here you go while you hunt for the sh-775

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

On second thought, would you like to do us a public service and try this faux sh-775 out?

1 x Rectifier Regulator. 2012 Polaris Ranger XP 800. 2013-2014 Polaris Ranger XP 900. 2013 Polaris Ranger 500. 2011-2014 Polaris Ranger 800. 2014 Polaris Ranger 570. 2011-2014 Polaris Ranger Crew 800.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

There's at least 1 SH775 on ebay right now. Just make sure the top fin has a stamp like pictured below. eBay links change as items sell so these links won't last long.

IMG_0178.jpg

Here's another
                Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 10-18-2018, 05:32 PM.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  On second thought, would you like to do us a public service and try this faux sh-775 out?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Voltage-Reg...4/352455924777
                  thats my shot in the dark right there

Comment

Originally posted by orangechicken007 View Post
                    HAHA thanks for your help sir but Im just trying to do my research. I like to take shots in the dark but IM leaning on the SH775 but i'm just seeing whats all out there. I don't want to be "left in the dark" on a cold winters night

My point was if after reading everything here, you still think that getting more opinions will provide the clarity, you might as well resign your self to taking a shot in the dark? Basically, no amount of posts will help you anymore; it is time to make a decison.

Comment

thats my shot in the dark right there
                      That is not a series type R/R. It's a fake. You would be better off with a SH232
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I just LOVE statements like this:
                        Im asking this partly because I'm on a budget and I don't want to spend more on a RR and stator than i did on the whole bike ...
                        Please tell me, ... what hope would there be if the bike was GIVEN to you?

Instead of "not spending more than I paid for it", look at it this way:
                        "I got the bike REALLY cheap, now I can better afford to get the parts I need to fix it."

Yes, the Honda unit is better than the Suzuki units of the era, but the Compufire and Polaris units are that much (or more) better.

The R/R that tom203 linked to was impressive. The fake ones are getting much better at imitating the real thing. In the past, one of the things to look for were the round buttons on the fins. Not only does this one have them, it has them on the correct fins. I cant tell, but it appears to have a metal plate on the bottom, possibly covered by some blue plastic film. Most fakes have black bottoms, real ones have a metal plate. This one still lacks the SH775 stamp on the back fin and the part number in the description. It does say it "Replce Part Number 4012941", but it does not say that it IS part number 4012941. Subtle, but CRITICAL difference.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          I just LOVE statements like this:

Please tell me, ... what hope would there be if the bike was GIVEN to you?

Instead of "not spending more than I paid for it", look at it this way:
                          "I got the bike REALLY cheap, now I can better afford to get the parts I need to fix it."

Yes, the Honda unit is better than the Suzuki units of the era, but the Compufire and Polaris units are that much (or more) better.

The R/R that tom203 linked to was impressive. The fake ones are getting much better at imitating the real thing. In the past, one of the things to look for were the round buttons on the fins. Not only does this one have them, it has them on the correct fins. I cant tell, but it appears to have a metal plate on the bottom, possibly covered by some blue plastic film. Most fakes have black bottoms, real ones have a metal plate. This one still lacks the SH775 stamp on the back fin and the part number in the description. It does say it "Replce Part Number 4012941", but it does not say that it IS part number 4012941. Subtle, but CRITICAL difference.

Right about now I'm sure the walls are starting to close in for orangechicken.

Comment

Well, they say that you can lead a horse to water, ... but most people would rather RIDE it there.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Haha, y’all are great.

Comment

Working...
                              X