I'm an idiot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm an idiot

And connected the battery terminals the wrong way around on my '79 GS550 when jump starting from my van. I'm not sure how I managed to do it, and I didn't even stop to think about why it sparked so much when I put it on. I noticed pretty quickly that the something was up, as the jump lead got very hot. I doubt it was on for longer than 30secs, and I didn't try cranking the engine.

However having got it the right way around and started the engine, it no longer seems to be charging. I have only just installed a SH775, which along with a bit of cleaning had got my charging system working.

So I'm wondering if you guys could point me in the direction of what to check for what I've fried.

Cheers

Phil
    1979 GS550

First unplug the stator and OHM out each leg. Sound NOT be continuity between any two plugs. And no leg should have continuity when grounded to the engine. If thats ok then youve fried the R/R I would say.

Stick the negative probe from the meter in one plug and OHM the other 2. Switch the negative probe to another plug and repeat.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Second, put the battery on a charger and once its fully charged..if it even takes a charge at this point..have it load tested. May be a simple as a fried up battery.
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

It sounds like your battery may have been bad to begin with by the fact you were jump starting it, or maybe it wasn't charging to begin with and that's why the battery was dead to begin with? So maybe youre no worse off than when you started.

Or maybe Im just a raving optimist this morning. lol
        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          First unplug the stator and OHM out each leg. Sound NOT be continuity between any two plugs.
          Didn't you mean there should be continuity between each stator wire? Definitely no continuity to ground, but each leg should be connected together.
          1981 Suzuki GS250T
          1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
          1985 Suzuki GS550E
          2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

Yes....I mistyped that. You can also start the bike and see what AC voltage each leg is putting out..

Comment

I'll get testing in the morning. I think my battery may have been a bit duff, but I also have a hard starting problem, that means it takes a while to get going even with a jump start.

I did measure voltage across the battery at about 12volts with it running yesterday, when previously it had been measuring 13.5ish. I hope it not my SH775 that I've fried as I've only just got it and they are hard to get hold off here in the UK.
              1979 GS550

Comment

Unfortunately, I think it is likely that the SH775 is damaged. Reverse polarity usually destroys the diodes in the regulator-rectifier.
                1981 Suzuki GS250T
                1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                1985 Suzuki GS550E
                2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

I would say the r/r is likely burnt.

Check the stator as others have said, not so much because it is likley to be bad, but just because is easy to check.

Good to know the bike does runn yet, then know the igniter is good.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                  Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

If you are going to run the bike some, disconnect all the wiring from the r/r, before it does wreck the stator.
                    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

First unplug the stator and OHM out each leg. Sound NOT be continuity between any two plugs. And no leg should have continuity when grounded to the engine. If thats ok then youve fried the R/R I would say.

Stick the negative probe from the meter in one plug and OHM the other 2. Switch the negative probe to another plug and repeat.
                      I'm not sure exactly what this means. I remember the stator tests. You Ohm testeach leg of the stator against the other two, and should get a reading around or less than 2 ohms. And test none of them are shorting to ground. My stator still passes these tests.

Could someone explain the R/R tests Chuck has mentioned in more detail as I'm not sure what he means.

Cheers
                      1979 GS550

Comment

Can anyone explain this in a bit more detail? What results should i be looking for?

I remember the stator tests, where you test for resistance between the different legs, and should get a reading around 2 ohms. Also check none of the legs are grounding to the engine body. Mine still seems fine.
                        1979 GS550

Comment

Originally posted by bill_face View Post
                          Can anyone explain this in a bit more detail? What results should i be looking for?

I remember the stator tests, where you test for resistance between the different legs, and should get a reading around 2 ohms. Also check none of the legs are grounding to the engine body. Mine still seems fine.
                          if that's the case then your stator should be ok. might have burned out that regulator. try testing for ac current between the stator legs with engine running. should be around 50vac.

i can't count the number of times i've been tempted to start a thread with the title "i'm an idiot".
                          2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                          82 gs1100L probably the next project
                          1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                          1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP
                          https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2f1debec_t.jpg

Comment

Working...
                          X