Please help! What is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help! What is this?

Good Morning! have a Suzuki GS1150ES. I have no idea what this items function is. I have been chasing a charging issue for a few weeks now. after a new Regulator Rectifier from Electro-sport's, A Harley Davidson Lithium Ion battery w/420 CCA''s, A new Ricks stator, not installed yet as my OEM stator seems to be working fine. Turns out the issue I was having was weak spark, hard to start, and voltage dropping 20 min into my ride. it was poor contacts and solder joints on my CDI board. I had these fixed and plugged it back in and everything worked fine with the charging system. then I realized my blinkers didn't work. my front blinker bulbs had blew out. replaced the bulbs and running lights working but no blinkers then noticed the back blinkers were not lit up. changed the bulbs and nothing. then started cleaning rear blinker/taillight contacts and signal switch and then no running light on my taillight. only the break light would work. Both bulb filaments on taillight look good. then I pulled this lil black box in the picture to clean the contacts and forgot I had unplugged it. Well with t unplugged, turn the key on and I have all blinker running lights are working and now all blinkers work now. taillight still has no running light but break light working fine. this black box has a mark of some internal damage that makes me think it might be related to all this. when I plug up this lil black box my blinkers stop working again. Please help?

Also should I install the new stator sense I have a new RR?

Could the Lithium ion battery not be good with aftermarket stator? ( I read this from a aftermarket dealer that sales RR ) I am curious?

Thanks, Sean
    Attached Files

The tiny pic doesn't help much so I enlarged it for you. Sorry, I don't know what that part is though.

Attached Files
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    1982 GS1100GK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZARCACOIDILINKSMONVNMOKTXUTWYsm.jpg Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400, 2003 FJR1300

Comment

Thanks for that. much appreciated.

Comment

here is another picture of the item that I am inquiring about.
        Attached Files

Comment

Here is another one incase someone may need more views
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a turn signal relay- but why don't you just compare the colours of the wires going into it with the bike's wiring diagram? That will tell you.

Comment

What is the charging voltage across the battery at 5000 rpm?
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

not sure at 5k but at idle its about 13.78 just revving it to maybe 4 or 5k it gets up to 14.40

Comment

Yeah I will try and track down the wires. just note its not this one. this is the one that when you turn the blinker on it makes the click sound mounted under the tank on the frame
                  Attached Files

Comment

I agree, that's your turn signal relay
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

If it is then does my bike have two of them? my other one is mounted at the frame under the tank. it has 3 wires plugged into it. the one in question has 7 wires going into it. the box took a hit. I can smell the burnt smell. is this the reason my rear blinkers and rear taillight do not light up when I turn the key on? front blinkers come on when I turn the key on. rear blinkers dont. Yet all blinkers are functional when I hit the switch. this is with the lil black box not plugged up.

Comment

I don't mean to alarm you, but it's quite possible that your bike's electrics may be suffering from a case of PO-itis.

This affliction can infest any system on the bike, but it's particularly virulent and vexing when POs (Previous Owners) get the mistaken notion that they should start hacking and slashing at the wiring. This leaves an unholy assortment of mysteries and messes for the following owners.

Signs of infection include lamp wire, sticky globs of electrical tape, wire nuts, random burned out components, slashed wires, swollen connectors, and mental breakdowns of anyone trying to sort out the mess.

Anyhoo, yeah, it sounds like someone somehow might have hacked around a bad blinker. Without laying hands on the bike, the GSR Hive Mind can only make the most tentative guesses as to the best course of action. It's REALLY hard to spot wiring issues and offer advice from photos. It's remotely possible the hack may have been accomplished in a reasonably effective and sane manner., in which case you unplug the bad unit and go about your day.

In general, look for something that doesn't look stock and try to figure it out. Those of us who have seen lots of GS wiring can spot this kind of stuff a little easier, but it's very difficult to do from photos. If you can get a wiring diagram, some good magnifying glasses, a beverage or three, and a few hours to think, you can probably figure out what happened.

There's another possibility, too: I'm not familiar with the 1150, but the shafties have a system that shuts off the turn signals after a certain distance. If the 1150 has this, the box of mystery may be related to the auto cancel system. So if it's bad, unplug it and use the signals normally without auto cancel.
                        Last edited by bwringer; 03-29-2019, 08:49 AM.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I appreciate your input. I don't think it was related to PO-it is though. I have had the bike sense like 2007. T

Comment

Continued from previous reply, The wiring looks fairly clean and normal. Charging system looks good. I just know the box I was trying to identify burnt up. I figured it was suspect for my not having running lights on the rear blinkers/taillight. I finally found out what the part is. I found two for sale on E-bay
                            not sure if it is related to my problem but I know I need it anyways. its a Fuse relay switch sensor. I know sometimes people can name items incorrectly on E-bay but I viewed another one for sale and it was listed as the same description.
                            Attached Files

Comment

well for $12.18 total, I'd say it's worth a try.
                              Rich
                              1982 GS 750TZ
                              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
                              X