Gs1100e rewire project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1100e rewire project

Hey guys I’m looking for advice I have a custom build going. I have a stock untouched wiring harness I will be relocating to under the seat so I will be possibly redoing a lot of the wiring. I/E shortening or lengthening to get things to fit cleanly and orderly under there. So since I’ll be in there playing with all of it what are some of the big things that help update/upgrade the wiring. I’ve found some threads about changing the R/R and possibly stator so far. I still will be looking for other threads and if you could drop a link that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Curtis

Many options are available, depending on where you are going with your "custom build".

Check the stator, it might be OK, but definitely change the R/R. When you change the R/R, be SURE of what you are getting. The popular choices are CompuFire and Shindengen SH775. If you go to the Compufire site, you will find several models, but I think there is only one that is a 3-phase unit. For the SH775, two sources are Polaris and SeaDoo. Used units are relatively common on eBay, but there are a growing number of Chinese knock-offs that look remarkably similar, but are no different than what you have on your bike right now.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Nothing to crazy it’s going to be a stock engine for now with a stock harness I’m just trying to relocate all of it. I read on one of the forums about the shindengen sh775 is a series R/R and doesn’t produce as much heat? Should it still be located in a place that gets a lot of wind flow? I am unfamiliar with a series R\R.

Comment

Any R/R will benefit from air flow, but most of the GS R/Rs live under a side cover, where there isn't a whole lot of air moving.

There have been a few threads recently on guys that have been looking for a 775, and have posted links to fake copies. There have been suggestions on what to look for to make sure you get the right item.

Let me know if you need some help locating one.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the help there is a video on YouTube showing the actual shidengens look like and what to look for also! There are so many knock offs im guessing it will run me about 100 bucks for one do I need to get actual Polaris plugs or do you think the knock offs will do?

Comment

Originally posted by curt4 View Post
            Thanks for the help there is a video on YouTube showing the actual shidengens look like and what to look for also! There are so many knock offs im guessing it will run me about 100 bucks for one do I need to get actual Polaris plugs or do you think the knock offs will do?
            The handiest option is the Triumph adapter harness for ten bucks. Any Triumph dealer has them.
            Triumph part no. T2500676
            http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/...0676-part.html
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Oh that’s cool! I’m guessing just cut the opposite connectors and slice in?

Comment

If you go to Sparck Moto, they have one with connectors for that price
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Are they actually shindengens? The pic looks pretty generic and they don’t show many of them.

Comment

Working...
                  X