83' gs850 starter issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83' gs850 starter issues

Hi all. I recently had my starter go out and rebuilt it with the kit recommended here. I got it all hooked back up today but still no cigar. The solenoid clicks but voltage from the battery drops to 4v when I hit the starter button. I initially thought it was a bad battery (it had sat for about a year untouched) so I bought a new one, but same thing. Resistance across commutators was good. Seems like there's a short somewhere, but I'm not sure what next steps would be.

Are you saying the new fully charged battery drops to 4v when you press the starter button? Have you tried to put a decent screwdriver across the solenoid terminals to see if the starter fires up? (Bypassing starter button)
    if the starter works then you have a faulty solenoid.
    post the results on here.
    when you say you had your starter "go out" exactly what do you mean by that ?
    It may be the starter is faulty and the repair kit did not fix the problem you could remove the starter fasten it in a vice and connect it directly to the battery to it to see if it runs
    Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 04-08-2019, 02:06 PM.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Does the starter spin freely when you hook it to a battery with jumper cables? It should kick hard.

And pop the ignition cover on the right off and verify the engine isn't seized try turning the crankshaft clockwise with a 19mm socket.

Some sort of starter clutch issue is possible, too.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

This might sound dumb but is the starter cover touching the supply pole on the motor.
        I have seen one or two with the pole at twelve o'clock instead of two and seen a motor cover with a hole burned through it.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
          This might sound dumb but is the starter cover touching the supply pole on the motor.
          I have seen one or two with the pole at twelve o'clock instead of two and seen a motor cover with a hole burned through it.
          We had one with the pole at 2 o'clock, but it was touching the cover, anyway.

Had to hammer an outward dent from the inside of the cover to provide clearance for the post.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well, it turned out to be a short in the new brush kit, thankfully I happened to have a second rebuild kit on hand and it's working now! Thanks for the help! The 8 volt drain had me worried!

Comment

Working...
            X