Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 1100G dyna

Hello friends,

My 82 1100G engine has the electronic ignition system. I have the dyna S. I have the mechanical points mech from an 80’ 850G + the zinc plate with the TDC mark.

1) Will the 850 mechanical points system just drop on and be in the correct timing spot? I am very hesitant about this as it seems the whole timing scenario will be changed.

2) I am having quite the difficulty removing the nut/allen combo from the electronic points. Am I missing something?

You are going from a Dyna to mechanical points?

Why?

Especially since only one year of the 850 had points, and the 1100G never did.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Sorry, my phrasing might be confusing. I am switching from the outdated electronic ignitor system from 1982 and will use a Dyna S. The Dyna S requires a mechanical points mechanism. I want to use one from an 1980 gs850 that I have from a parts bike. I am unsure if it will fit.

I want to use the Dyna S in conjunction with an M unit and dyna coils (I already own both).

Comment

Call Dyna and ask them. Should know maybe..
        sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Put the mechanical advance unit on and check the TDC marks line up correctly.
          As in 1 & 4 actually are at TDC when the marks align.
          If they do, you're good to go with a Dyna S.

Comment

Originally posted by FastGTO View Post
            I have the mechanical points mech from an 80’ 850G + the zinc plate with the TDC mark.
            Uhh, the '80 850 did not have mechanical points.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Uhh, the '80 850 did not have mechanical points.

he probably meant that he has the mechanical advancer setup from the '80 850, maybe he can offer a picture of his setup.
              I'd rotate the crank till 1 and 4 are at TDC and note mark on his current setup and see how this 850 plate marking lines compare.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Your "zinc plate with timing marks" caught my attention as I'm in process of installing Dyna S on an 1100 G and like you was looking for timing marks once I removed the stock signal generator.

Could you fill me in on your timing plate with TDC marked?

Tks
                John

Comment

He is trying to switch the CDI setup to a Dyna S setup that uses the weight from from the point system to control the system. I only understand what he's asking for because I'm considering doing the same thing. The CDI system is just terrible on these bikes.

Comment

Not to hijack the thread, but I am also setting up to install a Dyna S ignition on my '82 850. I was going over the Dyna instructions before I actually install the thing, and got to the part about using a splice connector to get switched 12V power to the system. I am dubious that the splice connector will stand up to hard use, and would rather just do a Y-splice, tin it, and put heat shrink over it. Anyone see any reason why not to do this, or why Dyna would recommend using a splice connector besides laziness?
                    1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
                    1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
                    Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

Scotch-Lok connectors are lazy, evil, dangerous crap. Doomed to fail. I have no idea why Dyna puts one of these into the kit, let alone actually endorses its use in writing.

So no, don't use it. Deposit that connector into the nearest trash recepticle and Y-splice in whatever way seems best to you. Lots of places to get switched power.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Deltacharlieecho View Post
                        He is trying to switch the CDI setup to a Dyna S setup that uses the weight from from the point system to control the system. I only understand what he's asking for because I'm considering doing the same thing. The CDI system is just terrible on these bikes.
                        Please do yourself a favor and remove "CDI" from your Suzuki vocabulary.

Our bikes have electronically-triggered ignition, but it is NOT a "CDI" system.

Yeah, everybody that is selling one on eBay calls it a CDI, but that does not make it right.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think FastGTO has Gone To Oblivion. Check his post history, nothing since starting this.
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                          X