Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 GS750 Running on Two Cylinders

Hi All,

Joined the forums since I just bought a GS750 last week. The previous owner did some work to the bike to get it running, but it is not running well. It idles high and when I rode it, it had absolutely no power and it would lose more power if I went past 1/4 throttle. I thought it was because he put pod filters on it and some out of carbs in need of cleaning. However after digging deeper, I found that cylinders 2&3 were not producing power (oily and wet plugs, exhaust pipes were warm while the others were hot to the touch) which made me suspect electrical since it smells like it’s getting gas and air is being pushed out when the plug is out? from what I’ve gathered the left coil is supposed to run cylinders 1&4 and the right coil fires 2&3. On my bike this is reversed. The coils were replaced by the previous owner so I suspect that this might have been done incorrectly. I tried pulling plugs and grounding to the engine but even on the cylinders that i knew were firing I couldn’t see any spark, not sure why, probably me not grounding it well enough. The old wiring is spliced into the new coils, 1 orange wire feeding two yellow wires, black wires are connected to two separate old wires. I tried to swap the wires from the 1&4 coil onto the 2&3 coil and all I got was explosions coming out of my carb. Swapped it back to how he had it and started right up and ran like it did before. Anyone have any suggestions? Are the spark plug wires just all on the wrong plugs? Links to wiring diagrams? I know the bike has multiple issues but I would like to sort this one and move on to the other ones after I know my electrical system is working correctly.

Thank you

Welcome to the board! Can't be of much help with the wiring on a four but it seems you're on the right track to get started. Follow this link to find the wiring diagram and a trove of other stuff you'll be needing. http://gsarchive.bwringer.com/
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Check your points gap for both sets of points. That,s the place to start. Check gap and timing, another thing that could be an issue is a bad capictor for those cylinders. Have you checked for power to the coils?

V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Yes unfortunately I have a lack of tools at the moment which is why I’ve been testing temp with my hands and looking to see spark lol. I need to re invest. how do I check timing on these bikes? And where are the capacitors for this circuit?

Comment

You need to know, for sure, if the coils are causing sparks. If you take a known good plug, connect it to a plug lead and lay it on the cooling fins so the metal part of the plug is touching the fin. Then turn the engine over and watch for sparks. Do it in a dark or dim garage to make it easy to see.

Make sure the switch on the right handlebar is in the ON position.

Comment

The capacitors (i.e. condensers) for the ignition are next to contact points....right front lower crankcase behind round cover. As far as wiring diagram ...this colored one from the 79 gs850 is similar as to ignition layout - it's easier to read than black and white ones

ignition coils are very durable, points ,condensers and bad wiring are better culprits
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              ignition coils are very durable, points ,condensers and bad wiring are better culprits
              Agreed. That is the primary reason why Suzuki and most other manufacturers had switched to electronic ignition systems by 1980. Those have problems, too, but not as many.

Since you need to invest in tools, your first two electrical tools should be a multimeter and a test light. The light simply tells you that you have power, the meter can tell you how much. Unless you actually need the numbers, the light is usually quicker and easier.

In this case, you already know that you have power to at least one of the coils. Use your test light to verify that you have power to the other coil, too. That would be on the orange/white wire. You should have power whenever the key is ON and the kill switch is set to RUN. Next to the orange/white wires will be a black wire on one coil and a white wire on the other. Check for power there. You may have to rotate the engine to verify. If the points are closed, your test light will not be on. When the points open, the light will be on. As you crank the engine, the light should blink. The blinking light will tell you that the points work, but won't tell you about their condition or timing.

As far as which wire goes on which plug, the coil with the white wire should be connected to plugs 1&4, the coil with the black wire should be connected to plugs 2&3. Yes, the 1&4 coil is usually on the left (as it was from the factory), but I had one that was reversed, too. Easy enough to change.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank You all for the help, I'm going to take a look at all that after I get home from work today. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

And may I suggest that you get hold of the GS750 service manual here (if you haven't already done so):
                  Cheers, Andy

Current bikes... 78 GS750E, 72 CB500K1
                  Previously owned...
                  01 VFR800Fi, 67 Honda Sports 90
                  71 Yamaha 175 CT2, 73 Yamaha RD250 (great bike!), 79 Yamaha XT250T
                  75 Kawasaki KX125 (little screamer!)
                  BMW R65, BMW R80, BMW R100LT

Comment

Working...
                  X