Questions about lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about lighting

So I got my 82 1100e torn down to go thru it fully and was wondering about how certain things work. First when I rode it last summer the light outage indicator would like up and go off or just stay on for the headlamp and tail lamp. Is the box that controls that the same box for the self canceling turn signals? When I first got the bike together turn signals did not work at all. I had replace replace the 3 pin flasher with just a 2 pin and they work good all last summer.

So if if the outage module same turn signal module?
    Since it working without the 3rd pin can I get rid of that module to free up some the wiring?
    If so what the same way of deleting it.

I know I could pull the bulbs out of the cluster and follow them see where it leads me too I guess.

I think I remember reading some time ago that the solder connections on the circuit board might need to be touched up a bit. It's a simple matter of reheating each connection and flowing a bit of solder on the joint.

Not sure about your particular bike, as it's one of very few with that style indicator panel, but on most others, the turn signal flasher is a separate box. The Turn Signal Control Unit (TSCU) is yet another box. Simply replacing the flasher with a 2-pin unit will disable the self-cancel feature. Not sure if your indiator panel has much to do with self-cancelling, but you likely have other loose connections, too. It is tedious to go through ALL the connections to make sure they are clean and tight, but it's worth it when you are done.

If you want to remove that module to "free up some of the wiring", you are considerably more masochistic than I am. If it works the way it is, removing a connector and re-doing all the wiring involved is going to be a lot of work for virtually no gain. In the end, you might shed about three ounces of weight.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Back story on the bike that was my Father-in-laws. He bought it in 2002 and left it sitting in shed. Over the years the title got lost before transferred ownership of bike. Was in contact of old owner but he not willing to help get a new title for it. 2 years ago I found on ebay another 1982 gs1100e Frame with title for 50 bucks if pickup and I bought that. Got the titled frame in my name and put plates and insurance on it so I could ride the orignal one kinda. Well this spring I'm swapping over everything between the 2 frames to get everything right so I literally going thru the whole bike bolt by bolt and wire by wire to transfer everything over. So this week I been messing with wiring harness between both bikes and wondering if I could clean it up a little.

Current pics as of last night.

Comment

Originally posted by suzukigs1100ez View Post
        You have plans to change that rear tire before the bike leaves the garage?

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I didn't just installed it on the rim in dec here. The bike had the same tire on before when I rode but there were 20+ years old. date code on it is last year and have the matching front that I put on last summer.

Comment

Age isn't the issue here.

It's a Kenda Challenger.

I hesitate to even let them roll across my shop floor, let alone get on and ride.

I had to look closely, though, the Shinko 712 has a similar, if not identical, tread pattern, but is a MUCH better tire.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
            X