Clear All

Igniter box

Hi guys,
    With all the electrical and electronic problems I've had:
    Replaced Stator
    Replaced coils
    Cleaned fuse box
    Replaced worn and burnt connectors
    Fixed shorted switches on left side (horn, turn signals, bright)
    New AGM battery
    While I was fixing yet another shorted and burnt wire in my ignition switch connector, All of a sudden I have no spark on any plug.
    Did I fry my Igniter Box? IMG_20190424_151411821.jpg This is the connector to the ignition switch
    sigpic
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle.

1980 GS850GL

Before you accuse the ignitor, clean up that wiring so you can test it properly.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Not the igniter.... undone wire from the signal generator... Thanks!
      sigpic

1980 GS850GL

Comment

That connector should still be replaced.
        sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          That connector should still be replaced.
          ..... It was.
          sigpic

1980 GS850GL

Comment

Originally posted by Uncamitzi View Post
            Not the igniter.... undone wire from the signal generator... Thanks!
            My 1982 GS650G left me stranded once. Had it towed to my mechanic, who feared the worst, that the igniter had died. But turned out the wire connector had simply come loose. I didn’t know where to look, but I do now. Anyway, my mechanic removed, cleaned, greased and reconnected all the ignition-related connectors, and so far so good. It’s my typical sense of doom and drama that makes we often assume the worst, when often the issue is simple.

Mind you I have read that the GS650G igniter is a tougher beast than that found in the larger GS fours.
            1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Beez View Post
              (Redacted)

Mind you I have read that the GS650G igniter is a tougher beast than that found in the larger GS fours.
              I was under the impression that only the GS850's igniter would work on a 850... is there some crossover on igniters?
              sigpic

1980 GS850GL

Comment

Yes, there is a bit of crossover. There were two general models available before the '83 models, one was a large, rectangular box, the other was a smaller device that would fit inside a cigarette pack. The basic difference in these two was how much room they had available for mounting. Starting in '83 (possibly in late '82), the ignition advance was built into the ignitor, rather than a mechanical unit on the end of the crank. Those units obviously can not be used with the earlier bikes.

Your best bet is to look up the part number for your bike, then enter that in the search window to see what other models used that same number.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                X