Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symptoms of a bad battery?

Hi All,

I think/hope I already know the answer to this question, but it doesn't hurt to get another opinion (or 3!). My '81 GS850G has a relatively new (about 1.5 years old I think) battery; it's one of those fancy AGM batteries. I have ridden the bike very little since, and it sat over another cold winter here in Michigan. It started and ran just fine five or six months ago, but now it won't do anything - no start, no lights, no horn, nothing. When I put the slow charger on it, I reads about 12.4 volts across the terminals, but as soon as I hit the start button, it drops to less than two volts. Is that a sign of a totally dead battery? Is there anything I can do but buy another battery?

I had same issue with my 8 yearold AGM battery this spring,,, looked ok coming off charger ,but fell on its face when starter button was pressed. A new $48 unit did the trick.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just as an FYI, Motobatt told me a couple of years ago that even their batteries need to have an occasional charging over the non-used months. This isn't a constant every day on the charger but instead more of a once a month for an overnight at most. The battery should also be brought inside the house during the winter
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          Just as an FYI, Motobatt told me a couple of years ago that even their batteries need to have an occasional charging over the non-used months. This isn't a constant every day on the charger but instead more of a once a month for an overnight at most. The battery should also be brought inside the house during the winter
          Yeah, I think I proved to myself this winter that what you just said is true. This was the 2nd winter for this battery, and the first winter I did just that; I brought it inside, then in the spring it was fine. But this winter I got lazy, and the extreme cold (-20F one morning!) killed it. So I just bought a new AGM battery from BatteryMart for $46.00 (including shipping) that has 210 CCA; we'll see how that does.

Comment

I have to replace the battery in the GS this year also. The one I bought was only 2 years old but would no longer hold a charge. I took in today to have it tested and the guy told me it appears to have 1 or 2 dead cells as his attempt at putting in on his charger he said it wouldn't take a charge. Only had a 6 month warranty so now I have to shop for another one -- probably will go for the Motobatt as it seems to be the proverbial "best" one on this forum.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              I had same issue with my 8 yearold AGM battery this spring,,, looked ok coming off charger ,but fell on its face when starter button was pressed. A new $48 unit did the trick.
              8 years is not bad for a battery!
              Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
              2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
              1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Working...
              X