Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to power stock ignitor/coils for relay mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to power stock ignitor/coils for relay mod?

I'm installing a relay for my stock ignition and aftermarket coils. I've read many posts including Posplayr's excellent write ups. I've made the harness modifications involving the stator wires (all three legs wired directly to the Compufire) and the righthand handlebar switch in the headlight bucket. I'll use the stock fusebox accessory circuit to power the relay which will be mounted next to the ignitor. What I'm not quite clear on is where is the best place to connect the relay switched power to the ignitor/coils in the factory harness? Thanks for the help!
    1982 GS1100EZ, second owner, 11,000 miles
    2000 XR650R, plated

My suggestion would be to use the wire that comes from the fuse. If you want to cut that wire and make things permanent, leave enough room on either side of the cut to splice in a wire. With the wire coming from the fuse, connect it to terminal #85 or #86 on the relay. Connect the other terminal (#86 or #85) to ground. The cut wire that leads into the harness will connect to terminal #87 on the relay. Terminal #30, of course, is connected to battery power, using a fuse. I suggest connecting it to the battery terminal of the starter solenoid. It is electrically the same as the battery, but you won't have to fight it if/when you work on the battery.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Copy that. So the oregon/white that goes to the ignitor. I think I'll splice in after the connector just to eliminate any additional resistance...
      2000 XR650R, plated

Comment

Splice in after WHICH connector?

It needs good power, too, and is run in parallel, so its resistance doesn't matter.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

The four pin ignitor connector.
          2000 XR650R, plated

Comment

Why not make it easy and follow what was suggested in post #2?

Your coils AND your ignitor will get good power from the relay, just one wire to cut and re-route to the relay.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

Because I modified the harness in the headlight bucket and wired my three stator legs direct to series regulator. Connected kill switch to one of the old stator wires that went up through the switch and now that wire is used to trigger the relay. Relay power comes from fuse box aux circuit.
              2000 XR650R, plated

Comment

At the end of your 'mod', you will need to have power from the battery to the relay pin #30. Power from relay #87 needs to go to your coils and ignitor. Either pin #85 or #86 on the relay will be triggered from something after the kill switch, the other pin will be connected to ground.

Since you have modified your wiring, it will be up to you to determine what wire feeds what.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Yes, understood. Thanks for the help. I understood pretty much all of this except for the best spot to tie into the Orange/White ignitor/coil circuit given that I bypassed the right handlebar switch connector up in the headlight bucket. Turns out I bypassed the ignitor connector by the battery and created a T with the power from the relay. Works great. I've got great voltage at the coils.
                  2000 XR650R, plated

Comment

Working...
                  X