Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a quick question on a dead ( not discharged ) battery

Hello heres the situation.
    Charged battery and it showed surface charge of a high 13 volts.

Install. Barely lights gauges. no crank why even try.

Attach the bike to lawnmower batter via cables and easy starting.
    Ran for a minute or so and remove cable lead whilst running bike stops dead.

Battery has internal short? To much resistance internally? I did notice that there were no bubbles coming pout of the electrolyte in two cells when i tipped the battery to check the level. Level was fine just hard to see.

Oh well it had a hard life.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Nothing to say other than Two cells dead or dying fast
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Surface charge is meaningless - it bleeds off/vanishes after some time. More important is the battery voltage when you install it in the bike and start powering things up. Assuming you charged this battery till it was full, you have a bad battery - it no longer holds a charge, replace it.

Comment

yes yes oddly a Yuasa only costs 76 bucks new from fortnine. free delivery and no sweaty parts guy acting like a C___
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I have never had a bike battery last over 2 years no matter how carefully it is tended. Even a LiFe04 battery. 2 years, the third spring it is dead.
          sigpic
          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
          1983 GS1100e
          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
          1980 GS1260
          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
            I have never had a bike battery last over 2 years no matter how carefully it is tended. Even a LiFe04 battery. 2 years, the third spring it is dead.
            Bad luck!

My first Yuasa (came with used bike) lasted the entire 4 yours I rode the bike. My second lasted the entire 10 years I rode the bike.

My third bike (and battery "Everlast") came shot. I rode it for a few years, but a few of the cells would never maintain more than half the full electrolyte level. I'm replacing it with a Yuasa sealed.

Again, do "sealed," "maintenance-free" and "AGM" all mean the same thing? (I know that AGM stands for absorbed glass mat.)
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              Again, do "sealed," "maintenance-free" and "AGM" all mean the same thing? (I know that AGM stands for absorbed glass mat.)
              These days, they tend to mean the same thing, but there are still wet batteries out there being sold with the marketing tag of 'maintenance free' and 'sealed'.
              For AGMs yes, it is true.
              ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

my last agm lasted 7 years, replaced as a preventative measure, not due to failure. Survived MI winters in the garage with no recharging till spring.
                1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Working...
                X