Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring Question

1979 GS1000S

I found 2 wires that are that are disconnected.
    i asked the previous owner , and as best he remembers they were disconnected due to draining the battery, his memory could be faulty.
    The bike runs as is and I don't see anything not working , but as I've just got it running, I may have missed something.

One wire G/W comes from alternator and goes to light switch, the other W/R comes from rectifier, and goes to light switch.
    Right now they are connected as to by pass the light switch.
    Anyone know what this does, or is supposed to do?

I'd appreciate any help.
    Thanks
    1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
    New project 1979 GS1000S
    Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Sounds right. Something you'll find here if you do even a little searching is that someone discoverd long ago the the that headlamp loop that the PO eliminated was a good thing to do on US bikes where it serves no purpuse. All three stator wires should be wired directly to the R/R. Pretty much everyone with a GS discovers this eventurally. Eliminating that headlamd loop, replacing the original R/R with a series R/R like a SH775, and establishing a single point ground are probably the 3 best things you can do to improve the crappy charging system Suzuki put on these bikes.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
      Sounds right. Something you'll find here if you do even a little searching is that someone discoverd long ago the the that headlamp loop that the PO eliminated was a good thing to do on US bikes where it serves no purpuse. All three stator wires should be wired directly to the R/R. Pretty much everyone with a GS discovers this eventurally. Eliminating that headlamd loop, replacing the original R/R with a series R/R like a SH775, and establishing a single point ground are probably the 3 best things you can do to improve the crappy charging system Suzuki put on these bikes.
      Great, thanks.
      1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
      New project 1979 GS1000S
      Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

Working...
      X