Time for a Mini Volt Meter…GDMFr!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for a Mini Volt Meter…GDMFr!!!

The GS just wouldn't be fun, without rolling to a stop by the side of a deserted country road, with a dead battery.
    MEH!!!
    Well, no need for new parts, the stator connectors slipped off.
    Decided it's way overdue for me to mount a mini voltage meter someplace.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Good reminder-exactly so. I had just a single loose stator connection and knew something was wrong right away from my gauge.

Comment

Mine are soldered together, gonna need to get pretty hot for those to come apart.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
        Mine are soldered together, gonna need to get pretty hot for those to come apart.
        Well, 2 of the connectors do get hot enough to melt the plastic sleeves, more than enough to melt solder. Plus I still want to know when the stator, RR or battery begin to go bad.
        Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 06-24-2019, 04:28 PM.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
          . Plus I still want to know when the stator, RR or battery begin to go bad.
          It's pretty surprising (and annoying) that modern bikes have so much gadgetry and electronics, but no voltmeter.

I'd rather have a voltmeter than a gas gauge, actually. There are several ways I can be reasonably sure of my remaining fuel, but how do you guess when a stator's heading south without an instrument?
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
            but how do you guess when a stator's heading south without an instrument?
            I usually find out at the end of the day in the parking lot at work.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I bought a volt meter for my bike a while back I'm just not sure where to put it on a stock GS where it won't look weird.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

That's true^^ There's a lot of ways to "see" if the battery is charging...but a lot of them are not pretty as a retrofit unless you take a gauge apart or have a fairing to glue doodads to. Possibly repurposing an existing lamp in the cluster...similar to the old ALT lamp that went out when the system was charging "forward" would be a help that might be made to work...
                (musing) for this "ALT" lamp to show Overcharge (failed regulation) as well is going to want a little more science.

My digital VMs are tiny $2 units and I can stick them on UNDER the handlebar....but you might try somewhere else you can peek at it while riding, if you don't want to see it all the time...jammed somewhere into the harness crap behind the headlamp etc Maybe even put a very small "push switch with a spring" in series with it, so instead of being on all the time you can just push the button to check it when wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                  I bought a volt meter for my bike a while back I'm just not sure where to put it on a stock GS where it won't look weird.
                  Seconded...
                  #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                  #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                  #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                  #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

There's a voltmeter widget that's essentially a multicolored LED with a teensy bundle of electronicals attached that turns the LED different colors (green, yellow, red, flashing red) at different voltages. Great if you want it easily hidden and out of the way.

However, in practice it is probably the most annoying thing ever invented. Even when a GS electrical system is upgraded and functioning perfectly, there's a fair bit of normal and completely harmless voltage variation, mostly when you're idling at a stop light, and especially with the turn signals on. An extra blinkenlight is just maddening.

On my GS, I have an SAE connector powered through a relay that I use with an SAE/USB charging widget for my phone. I simply found a version of the charging widget with a voltage display built in (Amazon, of course). It normally sits where the numbers are slightly hidden so it's not distracting. I check it every so often, and if I suspect an issue I can move it where I can see it.
                    Last edited by bwringer; 06-28-2019, 11:52 AM.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      There's a voltmeter widget that's essentially a multicolored LED with a teensy bundle of electronicals attached that turns the LED different colors (green, yellow, red, flashing red) at different voltages. Great if you want it easily hidden and out of the way.

However, in practice it is probably the most annoying thing ever invented. Even when a GS electrical system is upgraded and functioning perfectly, there's a fair bit of normal and completely harmless voltage variation, mostly when you're idling at a stop light, and especially with the turn signals on. An extra blinkenlight is just maddening.

On my GS, I have an SAE connector powered through a relay that I use with an SAE/USB charging widget for my phone. I simply found a version of the charging widget with a voltage display built in (Amazon, of course). It normally sits where the numbers are slightly hidden so it's not distracting. I check it every so often, and if I suspect an issue I can move it where I can see it.
                      So I should just put velcro on the back, 'til I find the just right spot?

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                        So I should just put velcro on the back, 'til I find the just right spot?
                        Velcro, chewing gum, spit, zip ties, whatever works. On my GS, it's just tucked between some wires and the clutch cable sort of hidden by the handlebar; just happens to work that way.

On my V-Strom (many modern Suzukis share the exact same crapness of the charging systems), I have an voltmeter that's a teensy little box with numbers attached with velcro waaaaay down in the dark behind the fairing. It's sort of behind the headlights, and hardly visible unless you're riding. The darkness down there also helps make the numbers easier to see, but also keeps it out of my normal field of vision, and not distracting.

1st-gen KLRs drool out so little spare electricity that they rarely have charging issues. On mine, I sometimes use the SAE/USB/Voltmeter widget described above, and sometimes just a normal SAE/USB charger.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Here's a minimalist production I put together in the shed...a tiny red light that comes on when voltage is above no-charge condition. It's merely the size of a wire with a 12v zener diode tacked on to a red led so it could even be tucked into the gauge at the backlight bulbs....

Led's have various "forward voltage" requirements per their colour. Red are the lowest, I recall, so this one glows dim around 13vdc and nicely as you see above 14vdc.
                          Zener diodes also have various Breakdown voltages...it's a matter of matching the two to suit preference.
                          I haven't tested it to "destruction voltage" yet, which would indicate OVER voltage- a regulation failure which is also important, albeit not so common.
                          It'd need more "fiddley-bits" work in opposite mode(OFF when charging like a car's ALT lamp) and then it gets into casings and soldering which gets pretty ugly when I homebuild bugs like this. Something Nice might already exist, too.test-zener+LED-Chargelight-20190628.jpg

PS 12.98 is not the resting voltage of this battery. It is showing surface charge from a previous startup and will soon fall to the usual 12.3 of this half-clapped battery...
                          Last edited by Gorminrider; 06-29-2019, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Lotta very good ideas here. Voltage specific diodes get the minimalist award, Gorminrider.
                            An accurate meter will tell over and under voltage, with human monitoring it can help track slow degradation of the charging system.

Comment

Yes, exactly. I do prefer the little digi meter ugly as it is....it seems to do more than the obvious with its behaviour...

An additional thought- I admit these can be a pest at night... maybe too bright, so in the event , dulling them out in some way( a switch, tape, a bit of white plexi or a paper gum wrapper) can save you ripping it off in frustration if you discover this some night.
                              Green is said to be preferable to might vision by some but I haven't found it so.

Comment

Working...
                              X