Maybe(?) electrical issues with '82 GS850GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe(?) electrical issues with '82 GS850GL

Out on a 30 min ride today, within half a block from my house the bike cuts out like its running out of fuel (had filled up the tank right before the ride so, unlikely after 30 mins of riding). Wont immediately restart. Let it sit for 2 mins while I check hoses are in place, examine for other obvious failures to no avail. Try to start it up one last time before pushing it home (not fun), and it fires right up, ride 2 mins home with no hiccups. Take tank off to get a better look at everything, first thing I notice is coils are boiling hot to the touch, which seems abnormal? Take a look at the ignitor, and it has a hairline crack along the entire backing plate. I recall from a previous bike having similar problems that either the ignitor or coils (maybe both?) were going bad, and would crap out when they got warm. Is there a way to diag the ignitor, and if so can someone point me in the right direction? If the ignitor and/or coils are going bad, I would probably want to just upgrade the stock setup to a Dynatek ignition.

EDIT: I have performed all of the basic maintenance such as: new intake boots/Orings, valves done 1000 miles ago, new carb to airbox boots in 2017, Airbox sealed, new OEM pet installed 2017, new spark plug caps and spark plugs, carbs cleaned and synced. Electrical is stock except for SH775 R/R installed by previous owner.
    Last edited by Rust_to_Redemption; 06-24-2019, 12:14 PM.
    1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
    1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
    Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

When it cools down, measure primary ohms on each coil.....should be about 4 ohms. More likely an ignitor issue though which is more challenging to confirm . Is this a metal box ignitor?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

IIRC the coils do get hot, but not as much so that one can't handle them.
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        When it cools down, measure primary ohms on each coil.....should be about 4 ohms. More likely an ignitor issue though which is more challenging to confirm . Is this a metal box ignitor?
        Checked the coils - 3.5 and 3.7 ohms so probably still good, for now at least. Don't like that they got super hot though.
        Checked the signal generator - 347 ohms so within spec I believe.
        Yes, metal box ignitor. And that's what I was afraid of. I remember the last time I had an ignitor go down the "diag" recommendation from the stealership was, "Does it work on a different bike that doesn't have any issues?"
        1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
        1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
        Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

Working...
        X