No announcement yet.

electrical problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't been following this thread....but have you seen this link? It covers lots of ground

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

check that's what my information was based on.

Anyone on the stator pages?

Btw to check the entire harness do you guy's untape it all?
      so you have all seperate wires ?
      Because in the way it is taped together I'm not able to follow a wire for more than 20 cm

or is that a no go because for some reason?
      Otherwise i think i'm gonna do just that this weekend. so I can check all the connections.

Comment

Sounds like a bad way to spend a hot weekend... Your bike is charging, but something is wrong with the connections. Triple check the grounds before attacking the harness. Does this bike still have a seperate rectifier regulator setup?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by SanderG View Post
          I couldn't even get my display to turn on. after a minute I was able to get my display back and used my kickstarter to start the engine.
          500 meter further my bike just died ( lost ignition I think ) and display was gone again.
          Your first post!

Stop over-analyzing ....... find the loose connection first!!
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Will look for loose connections.
            But I really think the display problem was because of the dead dead dead battery.
            I hooked up another battery and the display was fine again.

Anyway performed the stator test of bikecliff's website. All looks good. It was 60V ac exactly.

Just gonna keep searching for any loose connections or stuff like that.
            Also do you guy's put your R/R ground directly to the Battery - terminal or to the frame ground?

what do you mean with seperate R/R?
            I got an R/R unit with the alternator connections. But I also got (what I think it is ) a condensator at the left of the bike.
            If that's what you mean with seperate?

Comment

condensator at the left of the bike."

not sure that I want to know what this is....
              overhere,that year bike came with seperate rectifier and regulator linked together- later years the this was replaced with a single box that incorporated what the two boxes did...we call it a R/R.

As to grounding,have a look at this link

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?229729-prevent-grounding-issues&p=2154549#post2154549

Edit. Look at Step 2 in this link

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?152769-GS-Charging-System-Health&p=1138531#post1138531
              Last edited by tom203; 07-06-2019, 07:43 AM.
              1981 gs650L

Comment

hahahaha,

Sorry condensator is what it's called in dutch. ( I'm from belgium ) . in englisch It's called a capacitor
                Thanks for the info

Comment

On the US (and Canadian) models of the GS, the charging systems changed a bit between the '79 and '80 model years. I don't know if those changes happened at the same time for the rest of the world's GSes. The primary change was with the regulator. As Tom mentioned, it was a separate unit from the rectifier. One of the wires from the stator had a connector for two wires. One of those wires went to the rectifier, along with the others, but the second wire went to the regulator, which would control the output. With the '80 models, the function of the regulator was moved to inside the rectifier, so there was just one unit. And, regardless of which one you have, there are better units available today.

However, this brings up another question. There were also changes in the 750 itself from '79 to '80, which have even greater effect. The '79 was an 8-valve engine, the '80 was completely different with a 16-valve engine. Chassis, bodywork, EVERYTHING was different. Why does this matter, you ask? Production of the '80 models started as early as August of 1979, so if you are looking at the VIN plate and see a date of September through December of 1979, you might have an '80 model. Two very quick clues to which year you have: 1) are your covers on the end of the cams round or rectangular? Round is '79, rectangular is '80. 2) Do you have a kick starter? '79 models have one, '80 models do not.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I most certainly got an 79 model.
                    Got 8 valves, Kickstart and round shaped camshaft covers.
                    But I haven't noticed the seperate R/R unit.

You mention that there are better versions of the R/R unit on the market. But is it an Must do upgrade?

My plan was to check everything electrical according to the tests on this site. And clean/replace some contacts..

Also I say a methode to reconfigure the ground loops ( don't know where I found it ) Is that a must or is the standard wiring allright?

Kind regards Sander

Comment

Someone might have already upgraded to the combo R/R.....but this " condensator" gizmo is odd. How about a pic so I can sleep better ?
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                      X