Circuit Tester/Test Lamp Stays On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Circuit Tester/Test Lamp Stays On

After battling my points and condensers, I finally broke down and got a Dyna ignition system. But when I go to set the points with my circuit tester it stays on consistently. Every video/directions I’ve read says the light should only come on when it’s advanced. I’ve clipped my alligator clip on the engine block and on my negative battery terminal and then I’ve put the pointy end on my coil 1-4 and both positions have kept it lite the whole time. Does this mean I have an electrical problem somewhere? All my grounds are buttoned up and I’ve become stumped on this one. Any help will be appreciated.

Did you read this link....especially the ending?

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by SB3 View Post
      ..., I finally broke down and got a Dyna ignition system. But when I go to set the points ...
      If you installed a Dyna, why do you still have points?

The whole reason for installing a Dyna system is to get rid of the points and condensors, they should not be there.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

W
        Originally posted by Steve View Post
        If you installed a Dyna, why do you still have points?

The whole reason for installing a Dyna system is to get rid of the points and condensors, they should not be there.

I’m sorry, I meant set the ignition not points.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Did you read this link....especially the ending?

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...c_ignition.pdf
          Yes, this is the instructions that I followed. I've made sure my key and killswitch are turned on, I checked all my wires and I have freely moved my plate left and right and my test lamp stays lite no matter what. I am stumped and don't know what else to do?

Comment

Seems odd...can you post a pic of the installed dyna plate? Someone who has done this conversion might chime in. Years ago, I remember one guy got a dyna plate with modules mounted wrong on plate
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
            X