Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 gs400 fuse blowing while riding

Hi all
    been scanning posts on the subject all morning but thought I'd ask for help before I go blindly chasing the issue

it only has one fuse ... never before today have I had any electrical issues. All blinkers brake lights worked .. I did replace the front brake switch when I did the master cylinder ... no issues at all
    the bike has only done 14000 kms I have cleaned some of the connections
    mite was covered in dust red Australian country dust lol
    the headlight is still wired from the stator - we ride day or night with lights so I've left it like that
    never had a battery charge issue I can leave it fir a month and it always starts first go

so about today - this morning I sprayed into the speedo housing with WD40 as there was a humming coming from it ... which was previously temp fixed by this method .. but last time I didn't ride the bike fir a week or two after application

the question is could that have cause a short ? Maybe with the light behind the speedo ??

The background - the fuse blew after I had ridden 4 kms to meet some mates for a ride, stopped had a coffee then set off then as I was moving up through the gears at higher revs the engine stumbled cane back and then the fuse went. Left me stuck on the up hill part of a long bridge with no where to go ... not a great place to stop. I changed the fuse road side and made it the 2km home.

i restarted the bike and it started fine ... idled ok. Went to move off and it blew

i had plenty of fuses so I tried again ... started and blew seconds after , next got 5 m and it blew ... next one got me around the corner and back and it didn't blow. Dejected I went and made pancakes and bacon.

left it for 3 hours figuring if it was the Wd then it would evaporate and I'd be all ok. New fuse and
    Started fine, gave it a little rev...ok ... revved it hard and pop.

tried again it was ok at idle for a minute then blew when I gave it a hard rev, maybe related maybe not as earlier one blew at idle .

With key on and not running I tested all the blinkers and brakes high and low beam and combinations of without and nothing happened ... I juggled the horn too

i checked what wires i could see with seat off but tank on, I could not see any wearing or burnt wire .. but there is much more to explore there

one other thing it seemed like the clutch slipped just before the first fuse blow ??? Maybe I grabbed it when the engine stumbled?? Not sure

ok thanks for reading, I hope I have given enough background. I have little idea about electrics but point me im in a direction and give me a plan and I can follow that

Thanks
    grant
    pic of my regulator if that is helpful 86980236-260E-4302-B44B-775948B7857E.jpg
    Sydney Australia
    1978 GS400 military police bike...on the road
    1978 GS1000...restoration underway

I should also mention the bike has seperate rec and reg9A3D108F-BBBF-4246-8925-6644523CB360.jpg
    Sydney Australia

Comment

I am looking at this diagram

Check the system charging voltage. If it's too high it will blow things. Check the condition of the regulator ground.
      Revving making it blow makes this my #1 suspect.
      If there was a short in the rectifier I would expect that to drain the battery so you might see nothing checking the rectifier resistances but worth a go.
      There is probably a procedure in here http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
      If you can't get to it, I notice it's loading funny, come back and I'm sure between us the hive can find a generic rectifier testing procedure
      After that you are looking at systematically disconnecting things until the fuse survives.
      In the long run that headlamp loop has to go and those separate reg and rec units are asking for trouble. They would have to upgrade to get to the level of bad reputation
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Thanks champ, will get some more fuses tomorrow and get into it
        Sydney Australia

Comment

i dont have an experience with the bikes that have just the one fuse, but i think my general understanding from other bikes will apply.

with the fuse blowing rather quickly, that will help you use the "eliminating suspects" method of troubleshooting.

try disconnecting the horn(s) and go for a ride, see if you go 2 or 3 times as long without the fuse blowing.
          next try the regulator & rectifyer.
          next try one brake lever switches. next try the other.
          those are my leading suspects of devices that can have intermittent internal problems that cause shorts to ground. actully i dont much suspect the rewgulator & rectifyer, but since you mentioned them.
          after that, i think you are pretty much left to looking over the wiring looking for worn through insulation. look where wiring harness goes around the frame (like steering neck) or over/around a flat edge (like near coil mounts) or maybe pinch point from reinstalling tank or seat.
          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Front master cylinder switch eh? Sounds familiar! On my GS450 I had the same issue this spring, blowing the fuse for no apparent reason. I'm running an aftermarket MC and the wiring for the switch had to be patched in since it's a different connector than stock. Turned out one of the contacts was making a ground and my tailight was in an always on condition which put a big load on the system between the light on and the short. You might want to check out the switch, could be a similar situation.
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

The old system of a separate regulator and rectifier was absolute crap and both of mine on my bike and parts bike failed producing an over voltage that damaged my stator and kept blowing headlight bulbs. The integrated R/R that came in 1980 was not much better. Bottom line all shunt systems are crap and archaic. They still exist because they are cheep to manufacture. A lot of us have switched over to the Series R/R systems. They look the same on the outside but work quite differently and are quite forgiving and easy on the electrical system. You are due for an entire inspection of the electrical system and cleaning of all connection points, plugs, switches (especially ignition and kill switch), bullet connectors, fuse holder, bulb sockets, and grounds. Once that is cleaned (DeoxIT is about the best for cleaning and restoring connections) and coated with dielectric grease, You need to install a new R/R (preferable a Series type) and then inspect and replace the stator if necessary. Stator windings turn very dark when they are overheated and damaged. If you do all that you should have a very reliable electrical system. There is absolutely tons of information on this on the site, this is the number one GS series failing, otherwise they are very good bikes
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice - awesome !
                I'll work through the suggestions and report back
                Sydney Australia

Comment

Make up a couple of short leads with alligator clips and tag them onto the ends of the fuse holder. Each lead goes to either end of a test lamp.
                  Go all over the bike wiggling the wiring loom, pushing and pulling things until the lamp goes on.
                  You've just found the short to ground.
                  ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Have you still got the stock original glass fuse on it? They're notoriously bad, and you're much better of replacing it with an inline weatherproof blade holder from Supercheap or wherever.

I've had three situations on my 450 that have caused a blown main fuse, and incidentally these all happened with blade fuses as I swapped the glass fuse holder out many moons ago:

- Overheated fuse due to corrosion in the fuse holder, fuse had obvious signs of almost melting by the time it blew.
                    - Faulty battery that caused it to blow once RPM's got up enough for the stator to generate enough voltage, obviously with the coils' current draw the total with charging exceeded 15 amps.
                    - One fuse holder leg had worn/expanded so the fuse was loose in the holder.
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks all for the suggestions I've just picked up 10 fuses so I can begin testing !!
                      Sydney Australia

Comment

Good luck!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                          Have you still got the stock original glass fuse on it? They're notoriously bad, and you're much better of replacing it with an inline weatherproof blade holder from Supercheap or wherever.

I've had three situations on my 450 that have caused a blown main fuse, and incidentally these all happened with blade fuses as I swapped the glass fuse holder out many moons ago:

- Overheated fuse due to corrosion in the fuse holder, fuse had obvious signs of almost melting by the time it blew.
                          - Faulty battery that caused it to blow once RPM's got up enough for the stator to generate enough voltage, obviously with the coils' current draw the total with charging exceeded 15 amps.
                          - One fuse holder leg had worn/expanded so the fuse was loose in the holder.

Hi pete,
                          i haven't had time to test / check anything yet, just moved house and apparently my garage/ workshop is the last place i should be unpacking boxes and setting up , SHE says bed sheets and kitchens a more important
                          i was just re reading the suggestions in the hope i can get to it tonight at least for an hour or so.. i did notice you said

"Overheated fuse due to corrosion in the fuse holder, fuse had obvious signs of almost melting by the time it blew."

i notice the plastic fuse holder for the glass fuse has a melted hole at one end that wasn't there a few weeks ago, it's just behind at the join of the wire to the clip that holds the end of the glass fuse ( i do have a couple of the mini blade type set ups ready to go, but i liked the look of the old school glass ones and the holder , but if they are trouble i'll turf it ).

question: does that melted part / burn say anything (does the particular end that it melted at tell a story ? , its melted through in small spot on each side but only at one end (i cant recall which end , but looks a bit like the attached marked up pic ).

does that help narrow anything down ?

thanks for your assistance

grant
                          PS I've ordered a 2nd hand seadoo reg rec 710001103 (SH775AA) ....if i don't need it here i have a 78 gs1000 to stick it on

glass fuse holder.jpg
                          Last edited by angrypants; 07-08-2019, 10:23 PM.
                          Sydney Australia

Comment

Well, it doesn't tell me anything other than it got too hot at some point

The melting I had was of the fuse itself rather than the holder, but either way it says it's been way too hot without blowing at some point which isn't great.

Loose fitting and/or corroded terminals will cause increased resistance which leads to heat, and you really want to avoid that.

Ditching the glass type fuse was one of the very first things I did on the 450... up to you but I've not had much success with them and I know others have had plenty of issues also.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by angrypants View Post
                              I've just picked up 10 fuses so I can begin testing !!
                              Only once have I found fuses to be good test equipment. A voltmeter will tell you a LOT more.

Grimly's method of using a light bulb as a fuse is interesting. I'll have to try that some time.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X