Power to ignition problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power to ignition problems

Hello guys, I am sad to say that electrical problems have struck me again, I have a 1981 Gs550t and I cannot get power to the ignition coils. I literally had it working a couple hours ago and now i dont even get power to the starter switch leads, nor the kill switch. I have checked my fuses, clutch safety switch, I am in neutral and i do have power to my lights and head light. Any info on this is greatly appreciated ! Thanks

Check the plug on the tail of the fusebox harness and check the fuseholders for corrosion.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

If your fuses are the older tubes, how did you check them? They can break under the caps where you can't see them. You need to confirm you have power on both sides of each fuse.

Is the kill switch on?

What were you doing immediately preceding the moment you noticed you didn't have power to them?
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The problem was my fuse box, it was old and corroded, so I installed a mew after market fuse box and the problem was fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Demio0892 View Post
          The problem was my fuse box, it was old and corroded, so I installed a mew after market fuse box and the problem was fixed.
          The ignition switch and kill switch could probably use a good clean of the internal contacts.
          It could give you back the best part of a volt at the coils.
          Those coil plugs as well are sneaky individuals. Look fine outside, mess inside.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
          X