1980 GS550L Right Side Start Button & Run/Kill Switch Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS550L Right Side Start Button & Run/Kill Switch Wiring

So my run/kill switch on my bike has been hit and miss lately. I've taken it apart, cleaned it and have found the "Sweet Spot" for the switch in order for the bike to run. I was thinking of replacing the controls entirely with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the problem. The aftermarket part has 5 wires. Two go to the start button and three to the run/kill switch. The Suzuki wiring harness from the right hand controls only has three wires, two of them orange.

Is there an electrical diagram available anywhere for the right-hand controls? I'm just wondering how easy/hard it will be to wire in the new one. Thanks!

This wiring diagram is similar....it's a slow, retarded loader, so be patient , it should surface and be readable. Used switches pop up on eBay regularly and might be easier than playing with the Amazon unit. Look for similar plug

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thank you! It loaded up for me. I bet the wiring is extremely similar.

Comment

I only saw four wires in that picture, but the people that wrote some reviews only commented on three wires.

According to the reviewers, it will NOT work as your starter switch. It is described as a double-throw switch, with center OFF.

And, you will likely have another problem. Your current switch housing holds the throttle cable, too. What are you going to do for that?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So the wiring diagram ended up helping a ton. I received the switch. It had 3 wires coming out of the start/stop switch and two coming out of the start button. I took it apart just to examine how the internals worked. You can wire it up so kill switch button pressed in is "on" or depressed is "on". Using the provided wiring diagram I was able to splice the switch into the existing connector and it works great!

I'm getting around the throttle assembly issue by using an independent "separate" throttle. I'm also getting a new handlebar today, so I'm hoping to have everything put together and running tonight.

I'm keeping all the OEM original stuff in case I want to switch back. I have no idea how this aftermarket kill switch and start button will handle the elements.

Thanks for the comments and help.

Comment

Working...
          X