I cant start my gs550t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cant start my gs550t

I have a 1981 suzuki gs550t and I can't get it to run, got spark and i cleaned the carbs and put new o rings o everything. I got after market exhast and air filters and I know I need to jet the carbs but I thought maybe I could get it somewhat running first ? Another thing I dont know is if I got the spark plug wires correctly connected, or the coils, If someone has a pic of their ignitions coils and where the spark plug wires go Id gladly appreciate it. Thanks!

While sitting on the bike the coil on the left side should be considered coil #1 and the plug wires should go to cylinders 1 and 4.
    It follows that the plug wires from the coil on the right would go to cylinders 2 and 3.

Service manual should have a wiring diagram.
    Last edited by steve murdoch; 07-13-2019, 06:30 AM.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

There are two coil supply plugs. Each has an Orange/White supply and a different colour trigger wire.
      Make sure that the coil with the White trigger is the one firing #1&4 and the Black trigger is on the coil for #2&3.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I get the impression that you have just gotten this bike and have never heard it run. Is that correct?

If it is, there is a LOT more that you need to do before pushing the starter button.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846 <-- click here

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Actually ive had this bike since last december and I have teared it down and rebuilt it. Ive done ALL maintenance on it (oil, gaskets, filters, valve shims, plugs, cleaned carbs etc.) and now ive come to the point of getting it to run but for some reason I feel I have e the coils/plugs connected wrong, the bike has spark in all four cylinders but it doesnt run. And you're right, it sounds stupid but after all the work and money I've put into it, i have never heard it run. 08D63256-78F8-46C4-BC8D-AA3196D41440.jpg

Comment

Thanks! I'll try that

Comment

Working...
            X