No Power to Dashboard Lights or Running Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Power to Dashboard Lights or Running Lights

I picked up a 1980 GS550E on Friday for $200. I'm hoping to get it working soon, as it's my first bike. I just passed the MSF course over the weekend, and I plan to go take the test to get my license. The bike sat in storage for 3 years.

When I got it, the ignition coil came unattached. The two wires at the end were exposed. I was advised to replace the spark plug caps. I found where it appears to mount, but the brackets are spaced too close for it, (yet perfectly fitting the thing on the other side). Anyway, the battery had gone flat in the interim, and seems to be DOA (it rattles when I shake it and has a couple of lines that look like rust). So I hooked up a jump pack to the battery leads, to supply power to the electrical system. I check the fuses, all look good, no broken filaments. I turn the key... nothing. No dash lights, no headlight or taillight, no blinkers. What could it be?
    20190715_141330.jpg
    1980 GS550E

There should be at least two ground wires with circular lugs on them, one attaches to the plate where the starter solenoid and other electrics are mounted, the other goes on the frame near the right footpeg. Check to see that they're attached, the one on the plate I mentioned often gets put on one of the airbox mounting bolts which doesn't give you a good ground.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

I saw one thin wire that was mounted just ahead of the air box, is that what you're referring to?
      1980 GS550E

Comment

You say you have checked the fuses so I assume there are more than 1, are they glass fuses ? If so how did you check them just by looking or with a multimeter. If they are glass they can appear to be ok looking by eye.
        i suggest you check them with a multimeter and clean the fuse box check the earths as suggested in previous post and go from there.
        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

ZPS,

welcome to the Gsr.

good that you took a msg class.

good that you found Gsr.

is difficult to troubleshoot electrical problems with your eyeballs.
          you would benifit from having a volt meter (multi meter so also measure continuity).

i suspect your battery is so dead that your aux battery still can’t power anything. Second suspect is that not really making good connection with the aux battery. But those are only half guesses since don’t have a good symptom to confided, other than “ no power”.

with a meter, or at least a test light probe, can then better determine where have power and where do not, then can narrow down where loosing it. Otherwise are just trying random things.
          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Yeah, I have no multimeter yet. I've only been able to check them with the old Mk. I eyeball. They're the glass cylinders. 20190715_081643.jpg
            1980 GS550E

Comment

Is this normal? I see a + and - next to screws that appear like they should have something.
              20190715_081415.jpg
              1980 GS550E

Comment

If it’s like the 82, the + and the - are terminals to provide power from the aux fuse. So no, don’t need to have wires on there. You could use them to power some accessory like lights or phone charger or heated gloves or something.

if you go to buy some spare fuses (15a main, 10a for others), also look for at least a test lamp probe.

Seems that you know are going to need a battery, so get one. Be aware if positive is on left or right.
                Last edited by Redman; 07-17-2019, 04:46 PM.
                http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Are there any wires running in/out of your fuse box?
                  -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Alright, so where should I relocate the ground wire? You mentioned a spot near the right foot peg...
                    1980 GS550E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                      Are there any wires running in/out of your fuse box?
                      I don't see any. I posted a picture, but the fuse cover is still on. I don't recall any wires, but I haven't checked the back. I'm about to leave for work, and it's starting to rain. I'll have to look when I get back.
                      1980 GS550E

Comment

Originally posted by ZombiePotatoSalad View Post
                        Alright, so where should I relocate the ground wire? You mentioned a spot near the right foot peg...
                        The one near the footpeg goes to a threaded lug on the frame, my guess is it's the only one you'll find. As to the one on the plate, it goes on the top mounting bolt for the regulator.
                        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Working...
                        X