When switching to Start, all the lights die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When switching to Start, all the lights die

Exactly what it says on the tin. I got a battery and hooked it up, and attached the loose ends of the ignition coil with splices, and the lights came on. Now, when I turn the key to Start, all the lights cut off. It won't crank either, it's like all the power just leaves.
    1980 GS550E

What bike? Post some pics of your wiring....
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Sounds like you have a short someplace. If you've made any changes to wiring, that's the first place to look. You could measure the voltage at the battery with they key off and then on and see what happens to the voltage. A significant drop would indicate that something is seriously draining the battery. Or maybe you have a dead battery...

Comment

Must not be a GS.

There is no way to "turn the key to Start".

Zombie. PLEASE give us some clues.

"Exactly what it says on the tin." WHAT "TIN"??? What does it say???

"attached the loose ends of the ignition coil with splices, and the lights came on" Really?? There is no way to hook up lights to an ignition coil to get the lights to come on.

Any chance you have any basic tools, like a voltmeter? That would help a LOT trying to diagnose this issue. In fact, if you would tell us what you are working on, we could even help you with some of the guessing.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Must not be a GS.

There is no way to "turn the key to Start".

Zombie. PLEASE give us some clues.

"Exactly what it says on the tin." WHAT "TIN"??? What does it say???

"attached the loose ends of the ignition coil with splices, and the lights came on" Really?? There is no way to hook up lights to an ignition coil to get the lights to come on.

Any chance you have any basic tools, like a voltmeter? That would help a LOT trying to diagnose this issue. In fact, if you would tell us what you are working on, we could even help you with some of the guessing.

I misread. Only the "AR" is visible, the other lettering had faded. Me, being used to cars, thought it was "start." My own stupid mistake lol.

When it's set to "On," it still won't crank.

As for the "tin," I was referring to the title saying exactly what the problem is, since writing "title" is too obvious and generic.
          A title should tell you what a movie, show, episode of a show or product is about or does. Sometimes, though, the premise or plot of the story is all right there in the title. That's when you can say that the story is "Exactly What It Says on the …

And the ignition coil had two wires on either end. Two lead to the spark plugs, the other two led to another plug, long since removed, thus leaving exposed wires.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ZombiePotatoSalad; 07-22-2019, 09:02 PM.
          1980 GS550E

Comment

I did a dumb. I forgot two conditions that must be met. The kickstand must be up, and the clutch held in. With that, it started cranking. Now I face a new problem: how to secure the fuel tank. When I got it, it was unfastened, and came with no bolts.
            1980 GS550E

Comment

The gas tanks are very different between models, and it'll be hard to give any advice without knowing what you have. A photograph of the tank and frame would help.

Have a look at this parts fiche to see what you need to hold the tank down. All of the rubber bits are invaluable to create a rattle-free fit.

Shop online for OEM Fuel Tank (Gs550b parts that fit your 1979 Suzuki GS550E, search all our OEM Parts or call at (231)737-4542

Put your GS model into your signature block so we know what we're talking about without having to search it out in the text body.

The kickstand shouldn't matter, but you are correct about the clutch safety interlock.
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by ZombiePotatoSalad View Post
                I misread. Only the "AR" is visible, the other lettering had faded. Me, being used to cars, thought it was "start." My own stupid mistake lol.
                Probably an easy mistake to make. By the way, the PARK position is meant to lock the handlebars to either extreme and turn on the tail light. Not sure why you would want to drain your battery while you walk for help, but that's what it does.

When it's set to "On," it still won't crank.
                I see this is addressed in the next post.

As for the "tin," I was referring to the title saying exactly what the problem is, since writing "title" is too obvious and generic.
                https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...ItSaysOnTheTin
                I read through the article in the link. I must say, I have never heard the term before. But that's OK, I don't do all the "texting" shortcuts, either. When I went to school, everything was spelled out and it was spelled out CORRECTLY. I still do that, many decades later.

And the ignition coil had two wires on either end. Two lead to the spark plugs, the other two led to another plug, long since removed, thus leaving exposed wires.
                The two spark plugs wires are obvious, but the other two will go to power and an intermittant ground. Depending on the year and model of your bike (we still don't know what bike we're working on ), that intermittancy might be provided by points or a box full of transistors called an "ignitor".

I did a dumb. I forgot two conditions that must be met. The kickstand must be up, and the clutch held in.
                You can't forget what you didn't know, but you are still off by one.
                The kick stand does NOT have to be up. At least not if it's a GS, but we still don't know, do we?

Now I face a new problem: how to secure the fuel tank. When I got it, it was unfastened, and came with no bolts.
                If only we knew what bike we were talking about, we could tell you what parts you need, and even point you to the parts fiches at some of our favorite supply places, but we still don't have a clue.

Please, either mention the bike you are working on, or generate a simple signature that mentions it so you don't have to remember every time.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X