No announcement yet.

Testing an igniter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The igniter was the issue. I went to the used bike place and found another igniter, attached to a complete electronics plate (mines been mangled)

It happened to be in a bin labeled "82 GS400T" so I bought the whole bin. I got an air box that still had the threaded inserts in it, the proper gauge set for the bike (the one on it when I got it had a fuel gauge in it) and side covers with embelems, I didn't have the embelems before. There's also a ton of other parts like cables switches levers etc, so I'm set for awhile.

She doesn't look like much, but apart from the front brake everything works on it!
    Attached Files

Comment

Fast work! there's plenty of summer left ..I can't see if you have the tank badges.They are nice to have- they look odd with the indentation unfilled too and I don't know why people would undo them anyways unless the bike is entirely custom.
      example today from Craigslistfunnies:
      noemblem.jpg
      This area is to be used only for general GS topics. For non-GS related topics, join the Off-Topic usergroup. <b>Technical questions are not to be posted here.</b>

Comment

"Badges? Badges? We don't need no steenkin' badges! "

A front brake could come in mighty handy - perhaps.
        '82 GS450T

Comment

Ordering a rebuild kit. Could use fork seals too...

I have the tank badges, one is still on. The missing side, the tank was caved in a little and someone bondo'd over the indent, and then stuck the badge on with double sided Scotch tape? It didn't last very long... Maybe one day I'll scrape the Bondo off to see what's underneath

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
            "Badges? Badges? We don't need no steenkin' badges! "

if you're serious-can't hear that interior accent to tell! )Well gee-don't you ever get tired of people that come up and ask "What is it?"

Now, my millenial Ninja- that's different. I'm gonna rip that flashy stick-on label crap right offa there! (or not...unless it peels off itself anyways...)

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
              if you're serious-can't hear that interior accent to tell! )Well gee-don't you ever get tired of people that come up and ask "What is it?"

Now, my millenial Ninja- that's different. I'm gonna rip that flashy stick-on label crap right offa there! (or not...unless it peels off itself anyways...)
              Hey, I have the tank badges plus the sidecover script with 400 on it and people still ask me what 'size' it is. What year is a valid question, and they always seem amazed that it isn't older than '82. Wire spokes, chrome, and a tank that isn't 'styled' will do that. '83 Ts had a 17/19 wire wheel combo w/ a drum front brake [!!] that was pretty retro and then they put a kooky stepped seat on it and wondered why it didn't sell. The market was broken and confused in the '80s.

I'm trying to remember the movie that the quote came from. Magnificent Seven??
              '82 GS450T

Comment

Blazing Saddles more likely? (now you bring it up, I think I'll watch it again!)

....Here, 90% of the time it's "What Year is it?" but there's a knowledegable bunch hereabouts and are just starting a conversation... I've met several nice people that had the bikes back in the day and even a Previous Owner... and generally. people do like to just visit a parked bike that hasn't been changed much . I know I do, anyways.

Comment

Treasure of the Sierra Madre. A 1948 cinematic symphony on the folly of greed. A donkey oatey with Bogart and Houston.

Now back to our usual electrical programming....
                  '82 GS450T

Comment

Working...
                  X