Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Issue

Hello,

I have a 1979 GS1000L that has been in pieces for years and I'm attempting to get it running again. The electrics had been completely disassembled and I'm hoping I was able to get them back together correctly, but I'm not sure if I did. I took several pictures from different angles hoping someone who knows these bikes inside out might be able to point out if anything obvious looks wrong.

The bike will crank (weakly) if I jump the solenoid with a screwdriver. I get nothing when trying to use the start button. No crank/click/nothing. I've disassembled the switch and cleaned thoroughly with electrical contact cleaner. I've charged the battery and also had a charger in "start" mode connected when trying to crank. I'm not sure if a wiring issue, bad solenoid, bad starter switch or something else I'm missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll post the pics I have below and if any other angles or pics would help, I'll gladly take them.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

The starter switch is important and there's another switch on the clutch to make sure it's not engaged when you hit the start button, clean that switch up too.The next common thing to look at is the ground on the starter solenoid. The solenoid itself isn't grounded but the plate it's mounted on is. There should be a wire with a ring on it that bolts onto that plate and goes up into the wiring harness, make sure it's clean and not on one of the bolts holding the airbox. On my 450 it goes on the top screw holding the regulator on and screws directly into the frame.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
      it goes on the top screw holding the regulator .
      This was exactly it. Thanks a ton! I just had it grounded by itself to the frame...didn't know it needed to be grounded to the plate everything it attached to.

With that small change, I tossed some fuel at it and it started after a few seconds of cranking. Ran terrible (it's been years) but it was nice to hear it run regardless!

Comment

Now, to take it the rest of the way, clean the carbs PROPERLY and adjust the valves.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Now, to take it the rest of the way, clean the carbs PROPERLY and adjust the valves.

^^^^^ What he said!
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

I identify as a man but according to the label on a box of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four

Comment

Working...
          X