Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
      Nice! I'm glad you found the issue.

Just curious, how long did the carbs sit with the ethanol gas in them after you rebuilt them? Just wondering about the time frame it takes for the ethanol to cause problems.

I've been using an enzyme fuel additive called Startron for years. It's supposed to stabilize fuel and help prevent problems from ethanol. I understand that if the engine has fresh gas running through it all the time, it's not so much of an issue. Ssometimes my bike will sit for two or three weeks without riding so I figured it couldn't hurt to use this stuff.
      I rebuilt these carbs back in Aug of last year and I think I put fuel in them for a test ride in October. They certainly weren't as bad as the 21 year old fuel that was in there but they had gummed up enough to cause these issues. A few weeks at a time in my experience isn't really an issue but when you start getting into multiple months it starts getting a little nasty.

I did find a place local to me about 5 minutes away that sells ethanol free fuel and will be keeping my carbed bikes topped off from that place unless I'm out on a trip and don't have an option.

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
      How does that saying go?
      something like-
      90% of electrical problems are fuel related. And vice-versa
      Sounds pretty accurate to me ha.

Comment

Consider this....you may have done everything perfect. The clog could have been a tiny spec of fuel line that flaked off while putting it on the fuel tee..thus migrating to that carb, Secondly using old line can allow rubber chips to flake off just from rubber being old.....
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          Consider this....you may have done everything perfect. The clog could have been a tiny spec of fuel line that flaked off while putting it on the fuel tee..thus migrating to that carb, Secondly using old line can allow rubber chips to flake off just from rubber being old.....
          I didn't use an old fuel line.

Comment

Never said you did. Just pointed out a few things that easily get overlooked.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

ah gotcha.

Comment

Working...
              X