Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waterproofing 3-, 6-, 9-pin, connectors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waterproofing 3-, 6-, 9-pin, connectors.

Hello all. I'm finishing up my GS650GL rebuild today, and ended up completely rewiring it in the process. I did most of the new wiring with vintage style 9-pin (or 2, 3, 4, 6 pin) connectors, and can't figure out how to waterproof those connections. If I search it on google, I get places to buy waterproof connectors, and if I search it on here, I just get a bunch of miscellaneous maintenance threads. Does anyone have any ideas on this front?

Use some dielectric grease and call it good is what most here would do....

Some kind of tape product would likely be another simple option.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

The only thing I can think of would be to create nesting "hoods" using heat shrink of some sort, but it would never be 100% waterproof, and you'd have to use a fairly tight fitting and maybe not very flexible sleeve that fits around the wiring to secure the heat shrink. The problem being there would be a large difference in size between the "hood" and the "tail". You're probably not going to be able to use a single piece of shrink-tubing to make it.

Going to subscribe this thread just to keep an eye on the ideas that pop up.
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

My only concern with tape is if you don't get a good seal, then the tape may end up retaining more moisture than the connector otherwise would have. I used only dielectric grease.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Yep, I only use dielectric grease too. Our electrics aren't sensitive enough to be upset by a bit of damp....

On the tape front I've had good luck at getting a watertight seal with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-amalgamating_tape
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Agree with him ^^^^^. That amalgamated tape is good stuff.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
              My only concern with tape is if you don't get a good seal, then the tape may end up retaining more moisture than the connector otherwise would have. I used only dielectric grease.
              Agreed.

Unless you're using truly waterproof modern connectors with seals for each wire, you cannot achieve a complete, reliable seal. So it's better to use dielectric grease to protect the connections from corrosion but leave the connector open so that water can escape.

This will work fine for many decades of rain.

If you're operating your GS underwater in salt water, then you have other, far more urgent issues...
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                If you're operating your GS underwater in salt water, then you have other, far more urgent issues...
                That's fair enough. I'll be having another shot at a homemade wiring harness early next week.

Comment

Vintage connectors are fine if you are doing a correct restoration or replacing a connector than dielectric grease is the best way to discourage moisture but if you want waterproof: http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__...onnectors.html
                  '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Would liquid electrical tape like star brite work ?
                    No experience with doing that just an idea
                    Sydney Australia
                    1978 GS400 military police bike...on the road
                    1978 GS1000...restoration underway

Comment

Yes it would. I use it with 100% success on those tap quick splice connectors that came on my trailer but it defeats the purpose of a connectors. I would have to cut them off to work on a problem but trailers are easy to rewire.
                      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

One (of several) problem with "waterproof" connectors is that they are usually a fair amount larger than "normal" connectors. Most of the wiring harnesses I have seen on GSes are already cramped, I can't imagine intentionally making it worse.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You could use the liquid tape to seal the end of your connectors where the wires go in and then cut short pieces of heat shrink tubing large enough to seal there the connectors plug together so you can cut the heat shrink to open the connectors if you need to take them apart again. Best of both worlds, keep your vintage connectors and don"t worry about water getting in them again. Realistically, they are going to last a very long time water or not.

Comment

Working...
                          X