Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always in 2nd gear...says the gear indicator

Always in 2nd gear...says the gear indicator

When it did that before it went away after warm up... This time it always shows 2nd as well as the actual gear including nuteral.

Ideas?
    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Have you checked the sensor down on the side of the engine? If your 750 is like my 550, it will be located under the sprocket cover just above and to the left of the front sprocket.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Let me see if I understand this: the "2" is always on regardless of what gear you are in, and the netural light does come on when in netural, and the other numbers 1,3,4,5 do individually come on when in that gear, all with the 2 also being on.....
      Right?

One thing could do in your troubleshooting would be to determine if the cause of this problem is in the switch or if the problem is in the instrument cluster.

Find the switch assembly (where Scott Cowboy described) and its wiring harness and the connector in that wiring harness going up to the instrument cluster.
      If it is like the 850G & 1100G, it has a multi conductor connector and then also a separate wire (blue)(with bullet connector). Disconnect the multi conductor connector, if the 2 light goes out, then know the problem is in the switch. IF the light stays on then know the problem is in the cluster.

Note: The Red/Black wire in the connector is the wire for the 2 light. If you want to test the 2 light, you should ground out the Red/Black wire that goes to the instrument cluster (not put power to it).
      Note: All the lights for netural and each number light all have power to them all the time, and the switch works by connecting whichever wire to ground to light the light.
      Last edited by Redman; 09-21-2019, 09:30 PM.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

What bike is this on?

Yes, it really does matter.

They all have pretty much the same switch arrangement down by the front sprocket, but some bike have individual bulbs that light up in sequence, others have a digital display in the dash panel. Let us know what bike you have, and what the display looks like, we can offer some more-intelligent suggestions (guesses).

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you for the great replies

The first one in my signature
          1981 GS750L
          1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
          1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
          1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Vanis View Post
            Thank you for the great replies

The first one in my signature
            1981 GS750L
            That answers the first question, but what about the second?

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            They all have pretty much the same switch arrangement down by the front sprocket, but some bike have individual bulbs that light up in sequence, others have a digital display in the dash panel. Let us know what bike you have, and what the display looks like, we can offer some more-intelligent suggestions (guesses).
            sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Right Steve... Looks like this one

Comment

That appears to have the individual lights for each gear. If it's stuck, showing just one number, I would look at the selector switch that is just inside the front sprocket area.

You will have to remove the outer cover to access the switch. Might have to remove the footpeg and/or shifter to remove that cover. Be VERY careful when you remove the switch assembly, there are spring-loaded pieces inside.

If you want to test the display module, remove the fuel tank. In the area over the carbs, there is a 6-pin connector that has a separate wire alongside. Separate the connector. Turn the key ON, use a jumper wire to connect each pin on the front half of the connector to a ground, you should see the different lights come on. The separate wire is for the neutral light.

You can also use a test light (or a meter) to check the selector switch. Connect the clip of the test light to the positive terminal on the battery, then test each of the terminals in the back half of the 6-pin connector. As you move the shifter lever, you <should> see the appropriate terminal light up.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

One of my GS1100es always shows 5 on the LCD indicator. Maybe this will motivate me to dig in...
                  sigpic
                  09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                  1983 GS1100e
                  82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                  1980 GS1260
                  Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

My tuppence worth:
                    I haven't had a working gear indicator on my bikes for decades.
                    I do miss the neutral light, so fix that when it plays up, but gear indicators? Nah, they're designed for folk who should learn what their engine feels like and know the right gear to be in.
                    ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I just replaced my gear indicator switch. '83 GS850gl. It showed 2 + 4 whenever in 2nd or 4th. and I had no green neutral light. I bought a used one and now all the number show up individually. I like features to work even if I don't use them. It was definitely a shorted wire pair in the sensor cable, right at the sensor where the cable had to make a 90 degree bend. That finally wore the insulation through two wires and gave me the double gear reading. I did fiddle with that harness to see if I could get the gear lights to change but the problem area was exactly under a metal strain relief band that didn't move much when I messed with the harness.

I recommend putting the bike in 3rd gear, key to run...no need to start it...then monkey with the wire harness at the sensor, making sure to bend it back and forth to see if you can get the light to change to 3 instead of 5. I don't think I could've fixed the harness because the insulation break was exactly where the epoxy of the sensor meets the harness. It required digging into the hardened harness and separating the wires within the epoxy, but that caused even more damage, so I could only replace the harness and sensor. The sensor itself definitely was not serviceable because of the epoxy but that wasn't the problem. If you are lucky, the harness could be straightened out and the wires separated with heat shrink or e. tape, and that would stop the short and you wouldn't have to find a replacement sensor costing $15.
                      FYI: If you pull that sensor off you will let loose a little oil from that area. There is an o-ring ( O-Ring 26.2x2.4mm) that fits around the sensor that you should be ready to replace.

Comment

Working...
                      X